A bite size crusty buttery pastry filled with spicy lamb masala and kiwi. Delish! The idea of Savory puffs and hot chai combination is irresistible. Try it! Spicy, crispy, sweet with ginger and garlic flavor.
I have never tried the combo of lamb and kiwis. However I have read that kiwis can tenderize meats and that make a great combo. So, I tried it J and distributed at my work place 🙂 they loved it. Kiwi complemented lamb perfectly! I was wondering which recipe to try when I received the lovely package from sungold zespri kiwi,had lot of gifts like tidbit plates from katespade, special mentions about kiwi benefits. Did you know that “Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit also contains Vitamin C, E, potassium and fibre “! ?:) I am using the kiwis sponsored by them. They also gave a spoon 😉 ofcourse! Right? We all use the “Cut & scoop” method. J I always love to scoop my kiwis rather than chopping them 😀 try it! I used the kiwis after three weeks of receiving them J they still stayed fresh. IF you would like to buy them, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit can be found at your local supermarket from May to October, so keep your eyes out!
I love Savory puffs. Here in Canada, I don’t find much of savory puffs, but in India 🙂 we have vegetarian puffs, paneer puffs, samosas, chicken puffs, lamb puffs, egg p:)ffs J Drooling!!!! I made chickpeas corn capsicum puff and it tasted out yum! Whenever there are some parties or dinner gatherings, these are perfect! I have done the pastry dough myself before and it is easy too except that it is time consuming. The idea of Savory puffs and hot chai combination is irresistible. Perfect as appetizers and you can have more Try it!
You can freeze the lamb mixture before making a patty or freeze the patty in ziplock bag. You can thaw the patty or lamb mixtures when needed and shallow fry them. Try not refreezing after thawed. If you think you have a big batch stored, try to store them in small batches.
My Other Favorite snacks/appetizers: Jalepeno Herbs cheese muffins, Indian spiced kale chips, Potato Garlic Tikka,lamb shami kebabs.
- Sungold kiwi – 2, chopped
- Readymade pastry – 2 sheets
- Minced Lamb – 200gms
- Walnut – 4, crushed
- Ginger – 1 tbsp, freshly grated
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Sriracha – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Sodium soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
- Cheese blend mix– 2 tbsp
- salt - as per taste
- oil - 1-2 tsp
- butter - 1- 2 tsp ( to brush- optional)
- Egg yolk - 1, small ( to brush- optional)
- Parsley leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- Sesame seeds – to garnish
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp of oil in medium heat; add red chilli flakes, garlic, ginger and sauté for a minute. Add the minced lamb with little salt, chilli powder, coriander powder,cumin powder and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, and sriracha sauce. Keep the heat to low, close the lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Stir it once in a while. Switch off, squeeze some limejuice, garnish with parsley leaves, mix well and keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 220 Deg C.
- Allow the pastry sheet to soften slightly, then unwrap, cut into desired sizes. I cut them to round sizes.
- Spoon the Lamb mix, spoon some kiwi, walnuts and top with cheese.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it with oil and arrange the puffs. Brush the puffs with oil/butter/beaten egg. Sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 mins, until golden brown in colour.
- Brush again with oil or butter if desired.
Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored by the Zespri Kiwi fruit and I have been compensated monetarily! However all opinions are my own as always.