Baby Corn Makhani is a great side dish for rotis and mild pulao or jeera rice. Baby corn is a wonderful crunchy vegetable and easily gets blended with any masala. I usually make baby corn Manchurian or baby corn fry. But this time I wanted to make baby corn gravy with no frying. Makhani gravy is usally made up of pureed tomatoes, ginger, garlic, red chilli powder and cream.
I made this with a simple roti, jeera rice and cucumber raita. Generally, baby corn is cooked or par boiled before using in any dish. But I used a can one, eve n otherwise I just wash and cook it without boiling. That crunchy texture gives great taste to the dish. If you prefer your baby corn more cooked and softer, I’d recommend cooking it in a pot of boiling water until soft before adding to the gravy.
I usually love baby corn in my pizza. And baby corn is a good source of folate or folic acid. It is rich in proteins, vitamins and iron. I used to make baby corn capsicum masala or baby corn peas masala. But after doing my paneer makhanwala, I got inspired and did this recipe.
You can always taste the ingredients a bit if you don’t have that specific ingredient at home. You can do this recipe with tofu,chicken,potato instead of baby corn. Never be afraid to try new flavors in your cooking. I always believe in that.
Vegan Note: Avoid cream and butter. 🙂 we have cashew paste inside already.
- For the gravy:
- Onion - 1 Chopped
- Tomato - 2 Chopped
- Garlic - 5 Chopped
- Ginger - ½ inch Chopped
- Cinnamon - 1
- Cardomon - 2 whole
- Cashews - 7 whole
- Almond - 7 whole
- Jeera - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Water - 2 cups
- Unsalted Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Baby corn – 10 , slit.
- Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Green Chilli - 1 Slit
- Kasturi Methi - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Water - 1½ cups
- Cream - 1 tbsp
- Coriander - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- Cream - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Mix the chopped onions, tomatoes, cashews, almonds, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cardomon, jeera, salt and water in a pan.
- Cook for about 15- 20 minutes on a medium flame till everything gets cooked. Allow this to cool.
- Then add everything in a blender. Blend them into a smooth paste with not even small pieces of cashews on it.
- Heat butter in the same pan.
- Add the jeera, blended makhani paste and stir well.
- Add chilli powder. (If you want rich color, you can add kashmiri chilli powder. I used normal one)
- Stir well &sauté the masala on a medium flame till the butter ooze out. It has to be sautéed really well till butter ooze out.
- Add washed baby corn, methi leaves, chilli powder,cream,water and boil for ten minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander, ginger and cream.
2. Close the lid when you add baby corn and water at the end as it will splash out some gravy outside as it boils.
3. You can also fry baby corn in butter/oil before you add them.