I never used to like fried rice before coming to Canada. I remember my Mom used to order this for her always. And I never used to touch it. Then after coming here, I continued that by avoiding it till I tasted this one when my best friend Vincy cooked this for me for one of my birthday with paneer gravy. I loved it! And she is the one who makes it for me always after that in our home. We all used to enjoy it. She is very quick in cooking and she used to cut the veggies overnight , store it in the refrigerator and make it the next day in a jiff after coming from church visit on a Sunday. I miss that! After she left to India, all three of us learnt from her and we used to make it for special days 🙂 and all of us rocked in this recipe. It is so simple and it never lets anyone down. That is all you want when you are cooking lot of recipes on a special day. Right? 😉
It is very important to make the rice grainy for fried rice. If the rice turns sticky, we won’t get it perfectly. You can use different color capsicum to add more color to the rice. It is very simple, only thing to do is chop the veggies finely. Make sure to use nice good quality basmati rice, as it’s the star ingredient here. Even though the key ingredient is rice here, capsicum and spring onions elevates this recipe to a different level. I made this before two weeks with paneer Manchurian and drafted the recipe to share. Thought of sharing it today and here it goes ! 🙂
To cook basmati rice perfectly, check the titbits ! 🙂
- Cloves - 3
- Beans - ½ cup, chopped finely
- Carrots - ½ cup, chopped finely
- Capsicum - ½ cup, chopped finely (used green and red capsicum)
- Spring onions - ½ cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Aginomoto - a pinch (optional)
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Salt - as required
- Cook basmati rice perfectly and fluffy. And keep it aside. Cut the veggies very finely so that it will cook easily in short period of time.
- Heat a pan with oil, and when hot, add the clove and veggies with sugar and fry for two minutes or until its cooked. Make sure it is still crunchy. You don’t want mushy veggies.
- Add pepper and aginomoto, spring onions and fry for a minute. Add the cooked rice and stir well and switch off.
2. I had only black pepper handy, but you can use white pepper, it gives, more flavor.
3. You are adding sugar to retain its color.
Serve it with paneer gravy or manchurian or any gravy! 🙂