Green beans are very healthy and one can make quick dishes with them. You can also add them in pulavs, biryani, salads, Chinese recipes, kurma and also some beans rice. Green beans are very healthy I should say. They give good antioxidant support and cardiovascular benefits. If possible, purchase green beans at a store or farmer’s market that sells them loose so that you can sort through them to choose the beans of best quality. They should have a firm texture and “snap” when broken. Purchase them if they have vibrant green color and smooth feel and also free from brown spots.
I always tend to cook potato, okra, brinjal. I somehow don’t make beans, carrot or cabbage much. But when I make them, I cook them special by entertaining myself with some alteration each time to make it tasty and inviting for me to eat. It’s not I don’t like them, it’s just I am sooper lazy to chop carrots and beans. That’s the reason for this masala beans. It tasted really good and very out of ordinary. 🙂
This is a steamed vegetable dish made with coconut. This is called poriyal in tamil. Generally at home we make poriyal with French beans, cauliflower, caroor, cabbage, cluster beans and so on. I have already posted carrot poriyal. Whenever I add lots of spices like this, I add a bit of sugar. But this recipe already has a subtle sweet taste coming from beans, onions and coconut. I make this one, normal coconut (thoran) recipe with this beans and also one nice punjabi aloo beans curry. I will surely share that one day. Its one drooling beans recipe I have in mind to share for quite a long time. I have chopped them little long, you can chop anyways. But this looks attractive 😉 what do you think? 😉
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- French Beans – 2 cup
- Onion – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Shallots – 5
- Garlic – 4
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Red chillies – 5
- urad dal- 2 tsp
- Black pepper whole – 2 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Cut the beans diagonally to 1 inch piece. And keep it aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients under the “to grind” table. And Grind the ingredients , without adding water.
- Heat oil in kadai and add mustard, urad dal and then add curry leaves and onion, fry till onion turns out golden brown.
- Then add the beans, salt and turmeric and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add enough water to the beans to get cooked.Mix well and cook cover with a lid in a medium flame, till the beans gets cooked.
- Add the ground masala powder and add two tbsp of water. Keep turning in between to avoid burning.
- After beans get cooked, fry till water evaporates completely and curry should be dry.