Grilled paneer/Indian cottage cheese cubes simmered in spicy aromatic Indian masala. Ideal for jeera rice or Indian bread like naan or roti.
My first post of the year 🙂 Happy new year to all!!! Life is beautiful :)! Enjoy! Be kind to one another 🙂
Thank you for supporting even though I did not post lots of recipes last year as the first six months I took a break from blogging. I am still not dedicated enough to post as per my plan of posting one recipe every week but hoping to stick to the plan at least this year :)!. Dreams and dedication are a powerful combination. Next few weeks are going to be busy for me, so started typing some recipes from December last week and scheduled posts for every Thursday or Friday to keep my blog active. It took a lot of effort to type and schedule for social media accounts. Hopefully, everything works :)! Here is my first scheduled post :).
I made this with roti and ghee rice, it was luscious. I usually make paneer once in a while when I feel like eating something exotic. It is paneer dish or vegetable biryani that I crave most times. Dhaba (Roadside restaurant) recipes are quick to make as it is made for people to grab quickly their food on their commutation break. This is a recipe I learnt from my friend years back with a slight revise from my side. This is a no tomato curry.
Vegan note: Replace paneer with tofu. Use coconut milk instead of cream.
I have a collection of paneer & tofu recipes collection with all my paneer tofu recipes that you should look at.
- For Marination:
- • PAneer – 300gms, sliced into big rectangular cubes (or any shape you fancy)
- • Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- • Dry Methi leaves – ½ tbsp
- • Coriander leaves, chopped finely – 1 tbsp
- • Chaat masala - 2 tsp
- • Salt – 1 tsp
for the gravy:
- • Oil – 2 tbsp
- • Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- • Onion – 1 cup, chopped finely
- • Green chilli – 1, chopped finely
- • Garlic – 5, chopped finely
- • Ginger – 2 inches, chopped finely
- • Chilli powder – 2 Tsp
- • Coriander powder – 2 Tsp
- • Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- • Garam masala – 1 tsp
- • Mango/Amchur powder – 1 Tsp
- • Water – 1 cup
- • Cream – 3 tbsp
- • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • Lime juice – 1 Tsp
- Marinate paneer cubes with lemon juice, dry methi leaves, coriander leaves, chaat masala and salt for 5 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan over medium flame; add the marinated paneer, grill and wait till gets brown on both sides, remove and set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds and when the colour changes, add onion, green chilli, garlic, ginger, salt and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, garam masala, mango powder to it. Saute well for a minute and add ½ cup of water. Close the lid and wait for 2 mins till it gets mixed up.
- Add cream, mix well, close the lid and wait for another 2 minutes till it gets mixed up.
- Open the lid, add paneer and stir well until the paneer is well blended with the spices.
- It will take around 5 minutes for it to cook and blend well. Don’t add more water, it may make it rubbery.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, squeeze some lime and switch it off.