Pan fried paneer with peas and spices in rich cashewnut gravy.
This healthy and delicious vegetarian curry can be on your plate in less than half an hour. Popular recipe amongst the north Indian recipes prepared with paneer and peas. Anything with paneer is a definite win. The texture of paneer is similar to greek feta which is prepared in a similar manner. I used the frozen peas instead of boiling some. I have seen that it’s a part of most restaurants menu. Goes well with steamed rice, Pulao, naan or roti. Paneer can be replaced with tofu also. Don’t add lots of cashews to make it rich, it will spoil the originality of the taste. I cut my paneer in this manner, but you can always cut in the way you fancy.
I am getting busy these days at work, so when I am back home, I am so tired that I just cook something quick and I could not click any pictures. And also I have to tell you, its getting dark so I don’t feel like clicking pictures without natural light. So, this whole week it was more like quick cooking after diwali. I just made simple very comforting home food.
Yesterday the weekend started and I finally got some chance to click pictures with natural light. So, here it is. I made matar paneer and butter naan. I will post the recipe of butter naan soon. I have similar paneer recipes like malai methi paneer and paneer makhanwala.
- For the gravy:
- Onion – 1 cup, Chopped
- Tomato – 1 cup, Chopped
- Green Chilli – 1 , chopped finely
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cashews - 7 whole
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Unsalted Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Paneer - 250gms
- Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
- Kasturi Methi - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Cream - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- Take 1 tbsp of butter in a pan, place the paneer cubes and fry for a minute in each side till they become crispy golden. Keep it aside. (Optional step)
- Take 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the cashews and fry till it is golden brown. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and sauté till they become transculent. Now add the tomatoes, garlic ginger paste and salt.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium flame till everything gets cooked. Allow this to cool.
- Then add everything in a blender. Blend them into a smooth paste with not even small pieces of cashews on it.
- Heat butter in the same pan. Add the jeera, blended paste and stir well.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. (If you want rich color, you can add kashmiri chilli powder. I used normal one)
- Stir well &sauté the masala on a medium flame till and add the water and mix well. It has to be sauted really well till butter ooze out.
- Add washed boiled peas, dry methi leaves, cream,sugar, water and boil for five minutes and switch off.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or paneer, ginger or cream.
2. Its better to close the vessel with a lid when we add the blended gravy as it may spilt up some outside as it boils