Mushrooms on toast are usually a classic British dish. It is usually served for breakfast or evening snack with tea or even for a light supper. I love this recipe because of its simplicity, just sautéed mushrooms with some parsley and dumped over on toasted bread. Many skip onion/shallots to it. But I wanted to make it simple and perfect and want to feel the taste of the beautiful mushrooms with shallots. Mushrooms cooked for around 7 minutes so they release their juices and then cooked with cream and parsley, when placed over the toast it absorbs the delicious mushroom juices.
I made this on a weekend for me and I was totally happy with a glass of juice and some fruits! It is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Simple and I was totally satisfied. As I always mention, mushrooms with garlic and butter is so perfect! They are made for each other 😀 I am not a great mushroom lover. But when I just toss them with garlic and butter, I can have the whole bowl. 😀 that garlic and butter is a deadly combination to mushroom. It elevates the mushroom taste. So I add them to my quesadilla, curries, white curry, tacos, pasta, pizza and everything now. I just had the whole plate 🙂 and made another toast and had one more! It was so tasty!!! I am sure kids would love this 🙂 and as a grown kid 😀 we ourselves would just drool when we see the end result! The best thing about this recipe is mushroom topping can be made several hours even overnight and refrigerated. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the mushrooms over low heat and top on the toast and serve.
Other mushroom recipes I love: Mushroom Tofu Veggie Potstickers with Chili Hoisin Ginger sauce, Mushroom peas spring onions masala, Malai Pepper Mushroom, Mushroom Pepper Mini Quesadilla, Mushroom Biryani, Garlic Creamy mushroom spaghetti
- Bread (any kind) – 2 slices
- Mushroom – 1.5 cup
- Shallots – 2, chopped finely
- Garlic – 2, minced
- Butter/ oil – 2 tbsp
- Cream – 2 tbsp, cooking cream
- Pepper – 2 tsp, freshly ground
- Parsley – 3 tbsp
- Cheese slices – any kind you fancy.
- Salt – as needed
- Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems. Chop the mushrooms bite size.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter/oil in a pan in medium high heat; add the shallots and when it translucent now add the mushrooms and generous pinch of salt and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are nicely browned. It takes around 5-6 minutes. Then add the cream, parsley and pepper to it.
- Mix well and switch off in 2 minutes when it in a consistency that it is not watery nor dry. It should be creamy. Transfer this to a plate.
- In the same pan, drizzle oil or butter, toast the bread.
- Now serve by placing the hot bread with a slice of cheese and top with the creamy mushrooms parsley mixture.
- Vegan Note: Use vegan creams made from soy milk, use the cashew cheese instead of normal cheese and avoid the butter!
Mushroom topping can be made several hours even overnight and refrigerated. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the mushrooms over low heat and top on the toast and serve.