Paneer cubes in a buttery nutty creamy tangy flavor. It is a rich dish with really tasty ingredients. Paneer dishes are always a real treat for vegetarians. I have heard people say that Paneer makhani,paneer butter masala and paneer makhanwala are same and its just the name which differs. But I personally feel paneer butter masala and paneer makhanwala is different in the method of preparation and also its taste. I will soon post the recipe of paneer butter masala and you will know the difference. I am not sure what is the originality of each dish. ;)Whats there in the name, its the taste which matters a lot 😉 Right?
My friends came over from Ottawa for the weekend, so did this for them. I made it with roti. And they really loved it . Happy ME ! 😀 When there is guest over and I wanted to do vegetarian dishes, I will make it a point to do atleast one paneer dish ;). It goes well with any kind of pulav, jeera rice, naan,roti or any kind of bread you fancy.
You can always taste the ingredients a bit if you don’t have that specific ingredient at home. You can do this recipe with tofu,chicken,potato instead of paneer. Never be afraid to try new flavors in your cooking. I always believe in that. 🙂
- For the gravy:
- Onion - 1 Chopped
- Tomato - 2 Chopped
- Garlic - 5 Chopped
- Ginger - ½ inch Chopped
- Cinnamon - 1
- Cardomon - 2 whole
- Cashews - 7 whole
- Almond - 7 whole
- Jeera - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Water - 2 cups
- Unsalted Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Paneer - 250gms
- Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Green Chilli - 1 Slit
- Kasturi Methi - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Water - 1½ cups
- Paneer - 1 Tbsp Grated
- Ginger - ½ inch, Juilenne
- Cream - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Mix the chopped onions, tomatoes, cashews, almonds, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cardomon, jeera, salt and water in a pan.
- Cook for about 15- 20 minutes on a medium flame till everything gets cooked. Allow this to cool.
- Then add everything in a blender. Blend them into a smooth paste with not even small pieces of cashews on it.
- Heat butter in the same pan.
- Add the jeera, blended makhani paste and stir well.
- Add chilli powder. (If you want rich color, you can add kashmiri chilli powder. I used normal one)
- Stir well &sauté the masala on a medium flame till the butter ooze out. It has to be sauted really well till butter ooze out.
- Add paneer, methi leaves, chilli powder,cream,water and boil for ten minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Garnish with paneer, ginger and cream.
2. Close the lid when you add paneer and water at the end as it will splash out some gravy outside as it boils.
3. You can also fry paneer in butter/oil before you add them.
It goes well with any kind of pulav, jeera rice, naan,roti or any kind of bread you fancy.