This is one of the best things that you can do with chicken I am sure there will be no one saying a no to this chicken recipe. This taste exactly like a restaurant one, I am sure you would love this recipe. Chicken 65 – I used to wonder where did this name come from and read some stories about this. There are many different stories for how the name came about but the most acceptable/logical theory seems to me is that it was introduced in 1965 by the famous Buhari hotel restaurant in Chennai. Many sources claim that “this dish originated in a military canteen in Chennai and as most of the soldiers, officers were from various parts of the country, to avoid language problems, they actually used a unique numbering system in the menu card/board and this particular dish was the 65th item on that menu. So it became chicken 65. But I used to wonder what happened to Dosa 16, lamb 36, omlette 01 , why dint this dish survive. And I read one hilarious one, the chicken was cut on the 65th day! Hehe! Funny!
For the Marinade:
- Chicken – (try to use thigh meat) but I used two chicken breast.
- Chillis – slit into slices
- Turmeric powder – Just a pinch
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 1⁄2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbls
- Red color – just a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp (I always blend fresh garlic and ginger)
- Chilli garlic paste – 1 tblsp
- Salt – 2 tblsp
- Aginemeto – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Corn flour – 3 tsbp
- Egg – 1
- Oil - for deep frying
- Curry Leaves - few
- Green Chilies - 2 halved
- Lemon - ½ wedge just to season
- Take a mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients under the “marinade” section. I usually rest it overnight. Allow it to rest at least for two-three hours.
- Heat the oil to deep fry the chicken in medium flame. When oil becomes hot, add the chicken in batches and deep fry them till it becomes crispy and turns brown. Remove extra oil using by placing them on a kitchen tissue.
- In the same oil, just fry the slit green chillies and curry leaves. Place it on the top of the chicken, squeeze lemon to season.
2.The more resting time the softer the chicken 65 will be.
3.You can also temper with cumin seeds, chopped garlic,. Fry for 30 sec.
4.I used chicken breast because I did not get chicken thigh that day, try to use chicken thigh. Its more juicy.
5.If you want to avoid red colour, you can use Kashmiri chilli paste and do with no colour. It taste the same with no difference.
6.You can also onion to garnish.