Perfect Vegan healthy dry curry recipe using chayote!
Chayote is called the vegetable pear. In Tamil Nadu in South India, it is known as “chow chow” and usually used in everyday cooking for “sambhar” or “kootu”. It is mostly handled like summer squash and generally cooked to retain the crisp flavor. It is a good source of vitamin C and a perfect cooling vegetable. I usually make chow chow kootu, sambhar and this time I made dry curry and tasted perfect! Healthy and tasty! Less oil, vegan and perfect for Saturday afternoon lunch.
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 (small), finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Salt – 1tbsp
To roast & grind:
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 4
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Heat a pan and roast channa dal, red chilli chillies, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to golden brown. Cool down and blend them with coconut to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- Peel and cut chow chow to medium sized pieces.
- Add oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, and when they crackle, add the channa dal, after it turns golden brown, add the chopped onion, garlic, curry leaves, green chilli and wait till onion becomes translucent.
- Then add chow chow with salt, turmeric, enough water and cook for 4-5minutes covered till it is boiled in medium flame.
- Water will be reduced by this time to very little and then add the ground paste, stir well and fry for 2-3 minutes till all the water has evaporated.
- Switch off and serve with rice/phulka.