Creamy, lump-free, easy and flavorful with some crunchy kale chips.
I always like to have potatoes on weekend for my brunch. One weekend I just made some sweetened condensed milk toast with orange zest. It was sweet and yum. So wanted some crunchy rich potatoes and made these. My other favorite potato recipes: PARMESAN OVEN BAKED POTATO WEDGES WITH MINT DIP, POTATO GARLIC TIKKA, HERB & GARLIC OVEN ROASTED POTATOES, POTATO ROAST, POTATO SUKKA/ POTATO DRY ROAST, CAULIFLOWER POTATO PEAS MASALA , SAAG ALOO CAPSICUM.
I would say we should cook the potatoes in the smallest amount of water yields better results and then cover them when cooking similar to eggs. If you cover them entirely with water, then all starches and flavors will boil off. But make sure or else they will burn. Always heat the milk and cream so the potatoes don’t cool off so quickly. You can serve it plain or with your pancakes, waffles, home-made turkey gravy. These potatoes are amazingly creamy, silky, smooth and fluffy. Heavenly!
If you love kale and mashed potatoes, then surely you will love these. And these are perfect comfort dish to any steak or chicken. You can even add fresh kale to the mashed potato. But I like that crunchy effect in that kale chips with these mashed potatoes. I made these baked kale chips along with mashed potato. So sprinkle some crushed kale chips on top it. I am sure you will have that crunchy effect and also you would search for some kale chips when you take the next bite. And the rest of the kale chips save and store it for snacks. You might think a long list of steps it involves, but it takes just 30-40 minutes.
I made the kale chips along with this but posted it long back and this was drafted in my recipes to be posted for a long, so thought would post it today 🙂
- Russet Potatoes – 8 Medium
- Unsalted Butter – ⅓ cup
- Heavy cream – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup, 3.5%
- Sour cream – ½ cup
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves - 2
- Ground black pepper
- Chilli flakes – ½ tsp
- Wash and dice potatoes into large chunks. Boil potatoes over high heat stirring occasionally. When it boils, reduce heat to medium heat and cover pan with lid and cook for 20-25 minutes and keep and eye on the water level. You don’t want it to be burned. When it is boiled, just piece with a fork and it should be tender.
- Heat heavy cream,milk and sour cream in a small saucepan over medium high heat until warm. Whisk it occasionally. It takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile strain potatoes and add butter to it. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until smoother about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream mixture slowly to this mashed potatoes, and add chilli flakes, pepper,salt, dried thyme, dried oregano and mix as you add. Stir well until potatoes are fluffy and smooth. Sprinkle some crushed kale chips.
- Serve with some gravy or baked kale chips!