Crispy and spicy fish fry made with kerala style homemade marination. This spicy aromatic fish fry can be eaten as an appetizer or goes well with biryani and some curry.
You can use the marination for any fish and make this recipe. If it is a firm fish, that would be perfect. Frying a fish deep in oil makes the fish hard. So, I would say try to pan fry the fishes. You save lot of oil and better for health.
I would say do not overcrowd the pan when frying the fish. The rice flour coating gives that crispy texture and makes it stay crispy longer. You can adjust the spice level according to your taste. There are different ways of preparing a fish fry. You can do masala fish fry, Indian style pan fish fry and so on.
Fish fry tastes best with tomato pepper rasam or with any chicken biryani or lamb biryani or egg biryani. If you are planning for a party complete Indian meal, there should be a fish fry. I would always suggest you to use freshly blended ginger garlic paste. Usually, the marination is good for 20-30 minutes, I had time, so marinated for two hours and it tasted even better. You should try marinating for more hours!
- • Seer / King Fish /Ney Meen or Any Firm Fish – 500gms
- • Oil - 2 tbsp
- • Mint leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- • Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- • Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • Fennel seeds powder – 1 tsp
- • Sugar – a pinch
- • Curry leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- • Lemon juice - ¼ cup
- • Pepper powder - 2 tsp
- • Salt- as needed
- • Rice flour - 1½ tbsp
- • Clean fish and wash it well by rubbing with salt.
- • In a mixing bowl, add every ingredient under marination. Sprinkle little water to make it as a paste consistency.
- • Then add the fish to it and mix well. Make sure each piece is coated well with the masalas. Marinate for 20- 30 minutes.
- • Heat oil in a pan. I used non-stick pan and toast the fish until the fish turns golden red in color and turn and toast the other side too. It approximately takes 8-10 minutes. You can deep fry too.
2. You can serve this with lemon wedges and onions.