To start with, This is my very first blog for my website 🙂 Yipee!!! Good luck to me 🙂
These are spiced dumplings /Fried riceballs made from leftover idli/dosa batter. For now, i have made a quick short note on idli dosa batter. Will make a detailed post soon.
These are made form special authentic vessels called paniyaram chatti. You can get it in many shops in India. This recipe is very simple to do and very tasty. I always believe home cooking should be fast,simple and delicious.
I have made these for my office potluck and everyone loved it. We can use leftover idli batter. We can make sweet and savory ones. And I am going to show the savory one today.
- Idli Batter – 3 Cups
- Carrot – 1 cup, finely grated
- Shallots / sambhar onion – 10, finely chopped
- Salt – 3 tbsp (if not added before in the idli batter)
- Mustard Seeds-1tsp
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 3, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 10, finely chopped
- Coconut – ½ cup
- Ginger – ¼ inch, finely grated
- Black pepper- 5, finely crushed
- Mix all the ingredients in the idli batter.Heat the paniyaram vessel with two drops of oil in each hole.
- Pour the batter into it . Pour it till there is ¾ of the paniyaram mould.Let it cook in medium flame for two minutes. When there are holes formed inside, you can Turn it carefully to other side using a wooden skewer or fork.Allow other side to cook now.
2. Cooking in medium flame will get a crunchy and crisp outer while the interior of the paniyaram will be soft and cooked.
3. Grated carrot gives great color and taste.
Quick Notes for Dosa/idli Batter:
To do Dosa/idli Batter:
Ingredients: (This serves for four)
Raw rice: ¾ cup
Urad dal: ½ cup
Idli Rice: 1 cup
Toor Dal: 2 tblsp
Channa dal: 2 tbsp
Poha/Flatterned rice/Aval - ¼ cup
Salt - As needed(i used 4 tbsp)
1.Soak everything together for three to four hours.(except salt)
2.Grind it smoothly
3.Place it a place like microwave oven for 8hrs to make it ferment nicely (you surely don't want to switch it on).
4. Add salt, mix it well, keep it in refrigerator and use it whenever you want
It taste really good with chutneys like mint chutney, tomato chutney, sambhar and spicy idli powder. I will post the recipes of each soon.