Prawn is cooked with the spices and ghee till the pieces are juicy, flavorful & roasted outside. It is simple, spicy and succulent. This is such an easy dish, yet so delicious and flavorful.
I usually add coconut to prawn finally in many of my curry recipes. But this one I cooked the prawn in ghee and coconut from start. I used ghee (Indian clarified butter) here. But you can use unsalted butter also.
Its been long since I made something with prawn. Finally got a chance last month to make it. I used to post a lot of recipes before and I am not actually that active like before. I am trying to cope up and lets see how it goes. I guess I should consider more professional than personal.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped, (1 cup)
- Green chilli – 2 small, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 inch, finely chopped
- Garlic – 6, finely chopped
- Coconut – 2 tbsp, grated
- Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Prawn – 3 cups
- Lemon wedges and coriander leaves to garnish
To Roast & Grind:
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Whole Red Chilli – 3
- Pepper balls - 8
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp
- Shallots – 4 small
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Dry roast the ingredient under "to roast & grind" in medium to low flame. Grind them with a spoon of water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, ghee, and when heated add onion, ginger, garlic, chillies, coconut and salt and sauté till golden brown.
- Now add tomato and fry till its mushy. Add the turmeric, blended spice masala, red chilli powder and sauté for 5 minutes in medium to low flame till it oozes out oil. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Add clean prawn, and stir well till the prawn is well blended with the spices.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well. Close for 5 minutes.
- The prawn would have cooked well by now, mix well. See if the consistency is good for you. Or keep it open for 10 minutes and it will get roasted at the ends. (Check spice level as you add it, your spice level may differ).
- Add chopped coriander leaves, switch it off and squeeze some lemon.