Bitter gourd is one of the healthy veggie that most kids fend off because of it bitterness. But by the method I prepare, you will not taste the bitterness at all. Even I started to have this veggie after going to college. But now this is one of favorite vegetable. It is really good for health and has natural power to kill worms and germs present in the stomach and intestine. It is very good for diabetic patient’s .People having a low sugar level should try to avoid this veggie.
We can also make stuffed bitter gourd. To be frank, somehow I did not like that much. We can make deep fry this veggie which is really tasty too, but I wanted to use lesser oil and stir fry so it’s healthier and also saves time. It goes well with any rice.
- Bitter gourd - 2 cups, thinly sliced into circles
- Salt - 1 tbsp for marination
- Curd - ½ cup
- Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- Onion - ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Sambhar powder - 1 tbsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ¾ tbsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Wash bitter gourd and thinly slice them into circles. Discard any seeds. Soak the bitter gourd in curd, turmeric and 1 tbsp of salt for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard, after it crackles, add urad dal and jeera. Add sliced onion and fry till golden brown, make sure not to burn the onion.
- Take the bitter gourd squeezed out from curd mixture.
- Add the bitter gourd to the pan which has the onion frying. Add sambhar powder, chilli powder, and little more salt, mix well and keep the flame in medium. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tsp of sugar and keep frying until the bitter gourd turns into nice deep brown in color. Switch off the flame.
2. Sour curd and turmeric takes out the bitterness.
Serve with rice and rasam or dal fry.