South Indian Style turkey berry and lentil stir fry. Healthy vegan comfort side dish for rice or roti. You can replace this with any veggies like French beans or cabbage.
My mom made this and I just clicked pictures. Both my mom and sister makes this recipe. I just enjoy when they make it and relish it. So this time when my mom made it with sundakka (turkey berry), I found it healthy and tasty. I wanted to share this recipe. Turkey berry is used for treating intestinal worms and also recommended for diabetics. It is good for indigestion and stomach ache.
In India when we grew up, I think when parents fed us, it was healthier stuffs. I don’t even remember having fried items monthly once. Now the kids have pizza, French fries, chocolates and coke. I remember the time I had chocolate bars only during my birthdays or when family friends visit our house. This is so different these days. I do agree they have more fruits and salads. However, I used to have all my food healthy. Even when I went home this time, it was more home food. Tasty, healthy and less expensive!
My other favorite vegan stir fry recipes: beans,carrot, cabbage, chow chow/chayote, Mixed veggies, bitter gourd/pavakkai, bottle gourd, beetroot, okra,potato, broccoli, cauliflower, arbi/seppankezhangu , raw banana/ vazhakkai,Kothavarangai stir fry, tindora/kovakkai fennel stir fry and so on.
- SUndakka (Tukey Berry) – 1.5 cup
- Salt – to taste
To grind (coarse paste):
- Toor dal – 1 /2 cup
- Dried red chillies – 2
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Wash the toor dal, soak the dal with red chilli for one hour atleast.
- Drain water from dal and grind the dals along with red chillies to a coarse mixture. Boil water in idli pan, spread the coarse mixture on the steamer plate and steam it for 5-8mins. You can also microwave for 10 mins.
- Cool the mixture, crumble it with hands and set aside.
- Rinse turkey berries well, sauté in a pan with little oil and boil it with enough water for the berries to get cooked.
- Once the berries get cooked (turns soft), set aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add the items listed under 'to temper'. Wait for the mustard seeds to splutter, then add urad dal, hing, curry leaves and turmeric powder. When the urad dal color changes and then add the dal mixture.
- Sauté till golden brown then add the cooked turkey berries and mix well. Add required salt.
- Sauté well and cook for 3-4mins until the lentil mixture blends well with the turkey berry. Switch off.
- Serve with rice and curry like Punjabi khadi pakora(yogurt based gravy)