Today I wanted to post a comfort food from my home. You can make this in few minutes. This stir fry is healthy and goes well with plain rice or any gravy. I always prefer individual veggies stir fry than the combination of few veggies. I love beans and this stir-fry is my favorite, I even like to eat this with plain rice or sometimes add plain rice to it and enjoy as beans rice. You can very well combine with carrots, peas and make it as carrot beans stir fry. I do that when I have only few portions of each veggie in the refrigerator. I mix all the veggies like beans, carrot and peas and make a stir fry using everything. Poriyal is a preparation where the chopped or grated vegetables are sautéed in spices and topped with grated coconut sometimes. You can make poriyal with almost all veggies like beans, carrot, cabbage, chow chow/chayote, bitter gourd/pavakkai, bottle gourd, beetroot, okra,
- • Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
- • Urad dal/split black gram – 1 tsp
- • Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- • Green chilli – 1, chopped
- • Curry leaves – 1 spring
- • Beans – 2 cups, chopped
- • Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- • Sambhar powder – ½ tbsp
- • Salt – to taste
- • Red chillies -2 , broken
- • Fresh coconut – 1 tbsp
- • Oil - ½ tbsp
- • Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Boil the chopped beans well with water, salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder, sauté for a minute.. Add water till it is almost covered. Close the lid and let it turn soft and raw smell leaves.
- Once all the water gets evaporated, add dry coconut and and give a quick stir fry.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and let it splutter. Add curry leaves, red chillies and fry for a min. Now add green chillies and sauté well till and add to the boiled beans.
- Finish off by adding 1 tsp of coconut oil and switch off.
2. You can substitute this with any veggie you fancy and make this same stir-fry.
3. You can use 1 tsp of coconut oil to garnish. It gives extra flavor.
4. You can use frozen veggies also, then you have to just 1 tbsp of water, add the coconut and switch off.