Cauliflower malligae is a dish famous in Mangalore. The cauliflower is marinated in garlic mint coriander paste and deep-fried. It is a perfect appetizer. The renowned dish in India using cauliflower is gobi 65. It is a fried cauliflower dish where the cauliflower/gobi marinated in chilli powder and deep fried.I will post the recipe of that soon. So, this cauliflower malligae recipe is something distinct and tasty.
I heard about this recipe on a cookery show, so just tweaked it here and there. It is a very quick, easy recipe. It’s too hard to resist without having them when frying. that’s the biggest problem 😉 when I drop the next set in oil, I keep munching the fried ones 🙂 . You will understand when you fry them. And you can have them as snack or for jeera rice.
The paste that we use here is fresh grinded paste. You can store it for 4-5 days. It can be served as chutneys for dosa,paniyaram. Can even be used to prepare biryani. Can be used for variety rice by just sautéing them and adding it to rice, it taste great.
You can replace this cauliflower with any vegetable for this paste. Try aloo( potato), broccoli, mushroom, babycorn. Everything will be extraordinary. Even simple onion would be great when marinated in this paste and fried.
It is kid friendly as its not spicy. You can spice up the recipe more/less by adding/reducing green chillies.
- Cauliflower - 1 medium
- Rice flour – ½ cup
- Corn flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as needed[b]To grind:Mint – ½ cup
- Coriander – ½ cup
- Green chillies - 6
- Garlic – 5
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Cumin -1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Garnish: curry leaves/ onion/ lemon
- Wash and separate the cauliflower florets from cauliflower. Cut them bite size pieces. You don’t want it to be big chunks, as it’s hard to boil as we are just frying in oil and not boiling. Soak the cauliflower in hot water for 3 minutes to remove any insects.
- Grind all the ingredients under “to grind” in a blender to a smooth paste. Add 1 tbsp of water when blending. Don’t add more.
- Take a broad vessel; add the cauliflower, rice flour, corn flour, salt and the blended paste. Mix them well. Add water if needed. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cauliflower batch by batch and fry them in a medium flame. You can fry them till they look crispy outside.
- Finally add the curry leaves in the oil and fry them.
- Garnish with curry leaves,onion and lemon.
2. If you want it crispier, add more rice flour.
3. If you have grounded the paste watery, add more corn flour.
Serve hot as a snack or as a side for jeera/ghee rice.