My mom makes this chutney with idli or dosa most of the times. The main reason is because I love it and everybody loves it. I have made this couple of times and whenever i make this, people surely ask me for recipe. It is that good! I proudly share my mom’s recipe. It goes well with everything. Pakoda, samosa, bajji, idli,dosa, parotta,paratha, roti or any bread for that matter.
You can store them for 2-3 days and serve.
I use sesame oil for tempering as it gives unique flavor to this. As I type, i feel like making some and having with hot dosas :)!
Spicy Onion tomato chutney/ Kara chutney
Author: Suganya Hariharan
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 1.5 cups
- Onion - 1.5 cup ( almost 2 onions), diced roughly
- Tomato - ¾ cup ( almost 1 tomato), chopped roughly
- Red chilli - 5-6
- Tamarind - a small gooseberry size
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Urad dal/split black gram - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder - ⅛ tsp
- Salt - as needed
- In a pan, add 2 tsp of oil in medium flame, add the red chillies,onions and salt, saute well till it comes transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and turmeric powder, saute well.
- Let it cool and blend well with tamarind.
- In a pan, add 1 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it crackles, add the urad dal and curry leaves. When the urad dal turns color, switch off and add the asafoetida.
- Top this seasoning on the chutney.