I made this before two weeks with a big meal. It took some time to make the meal so wanted to make a quick yummy dessert. And this was perfect. This mouthwatering kesari is made using vermicelli, sugar, ghee and cardamom powder. This is a simple south Indian sweet is adapted from the classic Semolina kesari. We are just replacing semolina by vermicelli. This is a simple dessert to satisfy sweet cravings.
Many have a problem with the consistency of vermicelli. You should use little more water than normal to cook the vermicelli. And should be careful with the color of the kesari, don’t ass a lot of food color, it is not good for health. There are different types of vermicelli like thin ones, thick ones, roasted, unroasted. So you can use any type.
Vegan Note: replace ghee with vegan butter prepared using coconut oil or cashews.
My other favourite dessert Recipes : Coconut Pistachio Kulfi, Carrot Coconut truffles/Ladoo, kala Gulab jamun, Gulab jamun, 5 minute nutella mug cake, thaen mittai/sugar candy, rasgulla, Coconut Burfi, Coconut Ladoo, Beetroot Halwa.
- Semiya (Vermicelli) – 1 cup, loosely packed, unroasted
- Water – 2 cups
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Saffron – 3 strands
- Orange food color – a pinch
- Cashewnuts – 5 broken
- Raisin – 5
- Ghee – 4 tsp
- Heat ½ tsp of ghee and roast vermicelli till they are golden and set aside.
- In another ½ tsp of ghee , use the same pan, roast the cashews till golden brown and set aside.
- Now boil water in the same pan, when it boils nicely, add the vermicelli. And cook till this vermicelli is soft and water is gone and all the moisture is absorbed.
- Now add the sugar and keep stirring it and this will loosen up. And also add food color, cardamom powder, saffron and mix well.
- It will start getting thick, add ghee so that it is not dry. Once ghee leave the sides of the pan, add the cashews,raisins and switch off. Make sure it is not dry, add ghee if so.
- Always serve hot/warm!!!
- You can keep this refrigerated for 2 days. But always heat it up little and drizzle ghee before serving.
2. Roasting the vermicelli gives a nice aroma.
3. Do not add sugar before the vermicelli gets cooked. It will make kesari rubbery.