It has a sweet and citrusy twist with the addition of key lime zest and chocolate chips. They are bursting with flavor, delicious and refreshing. These aren’t super limey but they are soft and delicious with a hint of lime. Plenty of bold lime flavor in these cookies are a twist on these classic coconut cookies which everyone would love.
Where did I get these key lime craziness? I am seriously unsure. But I am sure I know where it started. My friend she gave me a spoon of key lime pie on her birthday last may. That was the very first time I tasted a key lime pie. I liked it. It was always on my mind, but never went to a bakery to get one or bake one. Then again I tasted one in florida when I went for my vacation. Then I decided that it is one of my favorite flavor. So, today I am bringing the classic coconut cookie with the citrus topping. Beautiful! 🙂
Adding lime, coconut and chocolate to this classic cookie just screams sunshine! These are citrus zested bliss I would say :). These can be made with regular lime too. And that glaze is optional, but it helps to elevate the lime flavor a little more.
- Unsalted butter – ¾ cup
- Vegetable shortening – 1 tbsp
- Granulated sugar – ½ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cup
- Vanila extract – 1 tsp
- Semisweet chocolate chips – ¾ cup
- Sweetened shredded coconut – 1 cup
- Lime zest – 1 lime
- Lime juice – 1 lime
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Lime zest – 2 tsp
- Lime juice – 3 tbsp
- Sprinkles – to sprinkle some finally ( totally optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a few baking shheets with parchment paper if you don’t want to scrub your baking sheet hard. And set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter,shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add this to the butter mixture and mix everything just until combined.
- Add the coconut, chocolate chips, lime zest, lime juice and mix them until evenly distributed.
- Try to use a small ice cream scoop which Is almost 1 tbsp measure and scoop out the cookie dough onto your baking sheets. Do make sure to place them a few inches apart from each other.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Edges with a golden color are the sign I would say. Allow cooling completely.
- When they are baking, mix the ingredients for frosting nicely. After they are baked and cooled slightly, just drizzle or apply these frosting on top of the cookies. Sprinkle some sprinkles on top.