Chickpeas Sundal is a common recipe in south India. It is made with boiled chickpeas and tempered with blended spices. You can make the same recipe with black channa or with any lentils. It is very simple and a healthy snack. I did this for navrathri. I have explained about Navrathri on my peanut sundal recipe😉 If someone wants to read :D. The most common sundal recipes for festivals are chickpeas sundal and green peas sundal. But you don’t need a festival to do this. 😉 this is a basic sundal version that we make for navarathri.
If you are using fresh Chana, soak them overnight. You can use it next day. I used the frozen channa so it was even easier. You can use this recipe to make any variety of sundal recipes. Just replace with those lentils/beans.
You can serve this as a snack or as a side dish for rasam.
- Fresh /Frozen chickpeas - 1 cup
- Salt - To taste
To blend to a coarse paste:
- Grated coconut - 2tbsp
- Green chillies -2 small
- Coriander - 1 tbsp
- Ginger- small piece. Very small.
- Jeera - ½ tsp
- Oil - 2tsp
- Mustard seeds - 2tsp
- Curry leaves - 6
- Red chilli - 1
- Hing - a pinch
- If you are using fresh dried variety of chickpeas, then soak them overnight or atleast for 4 hrs. Pour enough water,salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles. The skin might come out, just discard them. I am using frozen chickpeas, so i just washed them and kept it aside.
- Transfer the ingredients listed under "to blend to a coarse paste" into a blender and blend them to a coarse paste. set aside.
- Heat a pan with the oil; add the list under "temper" in that pan.
- Add the chickpeas and salt, toss them for two minutes. Add the blended mixture on top of it. Saute them for two - three minutes until the raw smell of green chillies leaves. Switch off and serve !!!