It’s an authentic rice variety from south India. When i get busy on week days, they are my life saviours.There are lot of variety dishes like lemon rice, capsicum rice, tamarind rice , tomato rice, potato rice… and so on! I don’t have them often because I like to have them once in a while 🙂 only. I need variety in my rice ;). And kids love these rice variety and surely a lunch box idea. I am not sure why they love them may be because of the colours I guess. My sis was telling me that my nephew loves these colourful dishes. My mom used to cook these for lunch-box when I was doing my schooling. They are easy to prepare and sooper quick. The coconut oil, sesame oil and coconut blend the flavours so well.. It has very few ingredients and those ingredients are always at home. Will update other varieties in future post soon.. soon :)!
- Sesame oil -1 tbsp
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - tsp
- Urad dal - 2tsp
- Peanuts - Handful
- Cashew nuts - less than one handful
- Green chillies - 2 (adjust according to spice level)
- Dried Red chilly - 1 (adjust according to spice level)
- Fresh scraped coconut/ Frozen Coconut - 1.5 cup, (packed tightly)
- Cooked Rice - 3 cup
- salt to taste -
- Heat a Kadai with oil, add the mustard seeds, and once it splutters add the urad dal, peanuts, asafoetida and dried red chilly. Fry till the dals turns golden and the peanuts are fried.
- Add the green chillies and curry leaves and then add the scraped coconut and sauté for few minutes on low heat, until the coconut turns light brown. Now add some salt to it according to your taste, sauté for few seconds.
- Add the cooked rice now ,stir gently. You don't want to mash the rice,
2. Both original coconut and frozen coconut are good for this. I have tried both.
3. Arrange the ingredients in a plate to make life even more easy.
4. I like it little spicy, so used lot of chillies, you can use just two. And my chillies here i cant depend, each time their spice level differs a lot. I have very very few Indian grocery shops here. Cant complain.
5. Use channa dal if you have them. It really gives great taste to this dish. I did not have it this time. Use it along with urad dal at the start
6. I used basmathi rice as it gives extra flavor. You can use any rice. I like thefragrance of basmathi rice with coconut. It makes the dish even more rich,
Serve hot with papad, potato roast or some curries.