When it’s cold, make these Lamb chops rubbed with spices and cook them till they get juicy and delicious!
This is my own recipe. I did not know what to name them, so just named it as coconut cardamom. I know the major ingredients are garlic, fennel, coconut and cardamom. Hopefully you all like this recipe. You can make this in pressure cooker or in a pan which might take little longer. I have heard from my friends that mutton taste juicier than lamb. You should try it with mutton if you got in your area. I am realizing my lamb recipes are just building up. 😀 I guess I am becoming a specialist. I usually do not click pictures on my day to day cooking. I just mostly click pictures when I make this for some guests. I made this for my office colleagues a month or more back. I just drafted the ingredients and clicked the pictures. They liked it a lot even though they were not Indians. I love to cook. I am sure of that one thing. It puts me to peace. If I am too stressed, I go to the kitchen, watch some movie and cook something for me or someone I like to make them happy. Happiness is making the loved ones happy!
I make different styles of lamb each time and I usually tend not to make the same recipe again and again. There are so many recipes to try, why to waste on preparing the same one. We have thousands of recipes to try in every cuisine. I made this with rasam one day. It is one of the finest spicy recipes. If you are making it for the first time, try to taste as you make to adjust to your spice level. This recipe was spicy, tasty and flavorful. The authentic method of preparing this recipe is by pureeing spinach, but I liked to make it this way.
When all the lamb curry is over, take some plain rice mix it in the same pan and have it right away. You can have this with plain rice,rasam/sambar, or roti,naan, paratha, parotta. Taste great with chicken biryani restaurant style or vegetable biryani.
I would say normally Mutton and lamb recipes are a treat to any Non Vegetarian food lover.
- • Lamb Meat(shoulders)– ½ kg, cut into 2 inch chunks
- • • Red chilli – 1, broken
- • • Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- • • Red Onions – 1 cup, chopped finely
- • • Shallots – ¼ cup (optional), chopped finely
- • • Tomato – ½ cup, chopped finely
- • • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- • • Green chilli – 2, slit
- • • Lime - ½ , garnish
- • • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, Garnish
- • • Salt - 2 tbsp
- • • Red Chilli – 3
- • • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • • Yogurt – 1 tbsp
- • • Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- • • Cardamom – 4
- • • Cloves – 1
- • • Cinnamon stick – small piece
- • • Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- • • Garlic – 4, Minced finely
- • • Ginger – 1 inch, julienne cut
- • • Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- • • Whole pepper balls – 1 tbsp
- • • Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- • • Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
- • • Coconut (desiccated/fresh) – 2 tbsp
- Wash lamb pieces and drain well.
- Soak red chilli and poppy seeds in water for 15 mins. Blend them in a blender with other ingredients to a smooth paste. Add it to the lamb, rub them well on the lamb and let it marinate for an hour at least. I put them for 4 hours. (do so if you got time, you can also marinate them overnight).
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil in medium flame. Add red chillis, curry leaves, green chilli and sauté for few seconds till it gets roasted. If you do not have pressure cooker, use a pan and do the same
- Now add the onions and salt, sauté well. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and sauté well. After two minutes when sautéed well, add the marinated lamb and roast in that oil for two minutes.
- Mix well and enough water covering till half the meat and whistle for 5 counts. If you are doing in the pan, cover it and let it get cooked for 35-40 minutes in medium-low flame.
- Now remove the cover, check if the consistency is good or just keep it open and cook for few more minutes till they become dry and all the masalas stick to the lamb with less liquid.
- Switch off, Garnish with lime juice and coriander leaves.
2. You can replace lamb with mutton in this recipe.
3. You can switch of at the consistency you think it’s right for you.
4. If you like the brown roasted dry texture, then leave it till almost all water is gone from the gravy.
5. Feel free to cut the chilli powder by half if you think it’s too hot for you.