Who will say NO to chocolates?
Orangettes are the ideal candy for those who love the orange and chocolate flavor combo. They are very simple, made of nothing but orange peel, chocolate and sugar.The prime point here is that you don’t have to fling the peels aside and we have something to do with that. If you want you can store the orange peels for this purpose in the freezer and use them later.
They are easy to make at home, and have a long shelf life. They are perfect gifts for friends and family J you can freeze them and gift it whenever you need. To keep the chocolate firm, I store them in the refrigerator or freezer. I have had orangettes in candy shops, but never thought to make them myself.
I love citrus flavors. Those flavors excite me. I have made candied orange peel long back.I thought of doing that to start with, then chocolate “called “ me 😀 😀 :D. And I wanted to try a new recipe. So here it goes.These taste really good. That flavor comination is out of the world. Try to use dark chocolate as the normal chocolate does not taste that good for me. i used mostly dark chocolate but added few chunks of milk chocolate to it.
- 2-3 oranges
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Few bars of dark chocolate
- oil – ½ tsp
- Scrub the oranges and Slick off the top and the bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the peel away from the orange in long, flat strips. Slice the peel into thin ¼th inch strips and set aside.
- Take a saucepan; add some water and the peel. Boil the water for 10 minutes in low heat. Remove the peels, rinse in cold water and dry. Blanch them few times if you can to remove the bitterness. I did this step thrice.
- Now take another pan, add the sugar and water, simmer it in a medium heat. Add sliced peels and cook for 45 minutes. You can turn it off when the liquid turns syrupy. And also peels should become soft and translucent. Remove the peels; place them in a wire rack to cook and dry off a bit.
- Chop the chocolate little and melt it in a double broiler, stir them frequently. Procedure for double broiler is by boiling water in a pan and Keeping another pot on top of it with chocolate. The chocolate will melt from this heat. I used ½ tsp oil togive that silky texture.
- Place a parchment paper in a clean place. U can cover the whole slice or cover only half. When they are dipped, place them immediately on the paper.
- They have to be set in refrigerator for 30minutes.
- Pull them put when you want to eat them.
2. Do the boiling/blanching of orange in hot water at least twice to remove bitterness.