A scrumptious curry where Paneer is immersed in a thick sauce based on pureed spinach, garlic and ginger. Do you know the difference between saag paneer and palak paneer. Saag is a generic name for cooked and pureed greeny leafy vegetables like mustard greens( mainly used for saag ), fenugreek leaves, kale, spinach, mint leaves and so on. Palak means just palak, I mean spinach :D. saag will give a strong pungent flavor and some what bitter taste. Many people and many resturants confuses with palak and saag. Its hard to get saag here , so I made this palak paneer.
Spinach and cream goes really well. I add spinach,garlic and cream to my pasta and it will just change your life. You can even use-frozen spinach or fresh ones. Or you can use half fresh and half frozen. Paneer is one of my favorite recipes as I always say. It’s a treat to vegetarians when it comes to Indian food.
Vegan note: Replace paneer with tofu, ghee/butter with oil and cream with yogurt.
- • Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- • Cardamom - 3
- • Bay leaf – 1 small
- • Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
- • Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- • Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- • Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- • Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- • Cilantro – 1 tbsp, chopped
- • Green chillies – 5
- • Garlic – 5
- • Ginger – 1 inch
- • Fresh spinach – 250 grams
- • Paneer – 250 grams
- • Cream – 3 tbsp
- • Oil or ghee or unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
- • Kasuri methi leaves – 1 tbsp, crushed
- • Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- • Cilantro – 1 tsp
- • Cream – 1 tsp
- • Garam Masala - a pinch
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and cumin seeds. When their color changes, add the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and sauté them until soft.
- Then add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and sauté until everything is well mixed and it is mushy. It takes about 5 -7 minutes
- Wash the spinach, cilantro and add to it and sauté for 3-5 minutes till they shrink.
- Remove the bay leaves. Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse it few times till they are smooth but not pureed.
- Add a tbsp. of butter (if vegans add oil), return the mixture to the skillet, and add the garam masala, crushed methi leaves and chilli powder and sauté well. And add the cream and water to it.
- Now add the paneer and cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes till the flavors get into the paneer.
- Switch off and Garnish with coriander leaves, garam masala and cream.
2. You can even use the frozen spinach for this recipe.