Chaman Kaliya is a creamy cottage cheese curry flavoured with saffron and cardamom. It is cooked in milk and kashmiri spices gravy.
As I always say, Paneer is one of my favourite party recipes. If I wanted to do something fun for a lunch, I always include paneer to it. If its south Indian, it would be a Thali(big lunch plate) meal. Anything with paneer is a definite win. I have tried kashmiri saffron rice before so this time I wanted to try something different from kashmiri cuisine.
I have collection of paneer & tofu recipes collection with all my paneer tofu recipes that you should look at.
Vegan note: Replace paneer with tofu. Use coconut milk instead of milk.
- • Paneer – 300gms
- • Onion – 1 medium sized, cubed
- • Garlic – 4
- • Ginger – 1inch
- • Butter - 1 tbsp
- • Oil – 2 tbsp
- • Cardamom – 3
- • Cloves – 2
- • Bay leaf – 1
- • Cinnamon – ½ stick
- • Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- • Fennel seeds powder – 1 tsp
- • Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- • Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- • Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- • Dry Fenugreek/Methi leaves – 1 tsp, crushed
- • Milk – 1 cup
- • Saffron – 1 tsp
- • Sugar – a pinch
- • Salt – to taste
- • Paneer – 1 tbsp, grated
- • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, grated
- • Cut paneer into cubes. Take 1 tbsp of butter in a pan, place the paneer cubes and fry for a minute in each side till they become crispy golden. Keep it aside. (Optional step). Add the paneer cubes to the water in 10 mins, to make it soft.
- • Add the onion cubes, garlic and ginger into a blender, blend into a smooth paste.
- • In a small pan, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf, and cumin seeds.
- • When cumin seeds turn brown, add onion garlic ginger paste, add salt to taste.
- • When sautéed well for a minute, add turmeric powder, pepper powder, fennel powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix them well.
- • Sauté in medium – low heat, till it oozes out little oil.
- • Add Paneer pieces, milk, sugar and saffron and cook until the milk starts boiling.
- • Once the milk starts bubbling, cook undisturbed until the paneer becomes soft and creamy.
- • Have to ensure not to overcook as paneer might melt in the curry. Taste for salt or add if needed.
- • Switch off the flame and finish it off with grated paneer and coriander leaves.