Aval payasam is one of the easiest payasam recipes. I would say easiest sweet recipes I know. It can be done in a minute. I did this for Krishna jayanthi but had no time to post. For people who do not know what is krishna jayanthi, i have detailed a bit in pepper vada. So, just wanted to post it now 🙂
Aval is one of the fine ingredient which gives great taste and boils easily so its quick to make. I prefer to use jaggery instead of sugar as it is rich in iron and also healthier option than sugar.
- Aval/Poha/Rice Flakes – 1 cup
- Jaggery – ½ cup broken nicely ( Adjust as per your sweet taste level)
- Milk – 1½ cup
- Cardamon powder – 1 pinch
- Ghee – ½ tbsp
- Cashews, raisins – 10 ( as per your taste)
- Heat a pan with ½ tbsp of ghee, fry the cashews till it is golden brown. Remove it and keep it separate.
- Fry the aval in the same pan and keep it separate.
- In the sam pan, boil milk. When it is boiling nicely, add the fried aval and cardoman powder. Cook it in medium flame till it is done.
- Add the jaggery to it. And mix well. Don’t boil them more than a minute or two as there are chances to curdle them.
- Top the payasam with the fried cashews ☺ Payasam is ready.
2. I did not have cashews, so just used raisins. You can us raisins with cashews when you fry them.
3. Do not boil the mixture after jaggery for more than two minutes, as there are chances to curdle them.
4. You can also grind the aval/poha before dropping them in hot milk.