Quick and easy spicy side using partly mashed potatoes. Mom’s recipe !!!
I usually post my recipes a week later or sometimes even later than that. I made this today and surprisingly posting it today. Today morning I woke up early or should say dint sleep at all. I got little cranky and wanted to cook something to make me occupied and also to brighten my day with some comfort homemade food. It’s my mom’s recipe. So around 6 am I wanted to know the recipe, called her because usually, she wakes up before that. When I called her, she was sleeping, still picked my call, asked me why I called so early, I insisted her to sleep but she was happy that I called her so early and she gave me the recipe in that call. That’s unconditional love and pure affection from mom. I actually felt little bad after that. When she calls, sometimes I used to say, I am busy.. I am sleepy. .I am doing that and this..and I will say I will call her later 🙁 . However she always has time for me!!! 😉 Deep inside I know it’s my mom and I take her for granted. Love my mom. I am sure all mom is like that 🙂
- Potatoes – 3, medium
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Hing – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red onions - ½ cup, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2, finely chopped
- Garlic – 3, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 6
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Lemon – 1 tsp to squeeze
- Salt – to taste
[to roast and blend]
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Whole dry Red chillies - 4
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cut the potatoes into three and steam the potatoes with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker with a bit of salt and a tsp of turmeric powder for exactly 3 whistles. Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle naturally. Peel the potatoes and dice the potatoes with knife or mash with hands with cubes here and there. Set aside.
- Roast the ingredients under “to roast and grind” in medium flame for 5-6 minutes. Blend them into a dry powder by adding no water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add the channa dal, hing and wait until turns to light brown.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, onions, green chillies with a bit of salt and sauté until the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add the diced/mashed potatoes with a bit of salt, chilli powder, blended masala and toss well for 5 -7 minutes so that it gets roasted for some potato pieces. Add salt now according to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and squeeze some lemon juice.