This recipe is my Mom’s recipe. She always make this for me J whenever there is garlic rasam or onion kuzhambu, she makes sure she prepares this. I missed it so I prepared this for myself :D! I love to eat them always. It reminds me of my childhood. 🙂 I am sure she will be happy if she checks this recipe here. I am sure this is a bachelors cooking recipe, as we can make it easily in no time.
All you need to do is to boil the potatoes and roast them with the spice powers and onions. If you don’t have sambar powder just makes the recipe with red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 Sprig
- Onion – 1, lengthwise cut (sliced)
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Potato – 3 Large
- Salt -1 tbsp
- Cut each potatoes into four and pressure cook for three whistles or microwave for 12 minutes. Cool it down, peel off the skin, cut each piece into two or three.
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of oil, and temper with mustard seeds. When it crackles, add urad dal and when it turns golden brown , add the curry leaves and onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and the cubed potatoes. Add a tbsp. of water and mix well.
- Cook in low to medium flame for ten minutes, you don’t want to mash them, It has to be perfectly shaped and roasted. So turn carefully every 2-3 minutes. Cook until golden roasted evenly.
2. You can garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
3. You can replace the sambar powder with chilli powder.