Tangy & Spicy Prawn tomato curry with Indian spices. And it is an excellent side for many dishes. Store and enjoy!
I really love using my freezer to preserve food. I love these homemade chutney or sauce and they are always a great savior when it comes to weekdays. I am alright cooking on weekends, but on a weekday I get so tired that most of the days I tend to make recipes under 30 minutes, finish and sleep. You can also use these for travel, it will not get spoiled easily for a long travel. For this recipe, try to use ripe tomatoes. And adding sugar or jaggery enhances the flavor and helps in balancing out the acidity.
You can store this in the fridge for 3-5 days and you can store it in freezer for 2-3 weeks. When you want to have it, just keep it outside for 30 mins from the freezer, heat and serve.
- • Prawn -15 (uncooked)
- • Onion – 1 (medium), chopped & finely blended
- • Tomatoes – 2 (medium), chopped & finely blended
- • Garlic – 10 (medium sized cloves), chopped finely
- • Ginger – 3 inch, grated
- • Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- • Asafoetida/ Hing – 2 tsp
- • Red Chilli (whole) – 2, broken
- • Salt – to taste
- • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- • Red Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- • Fenugreek seeds powder – 1 tsp
- • Fennel Seeds powder - 1 tsp
- • Jaggery – 1 inch
- • Gingelly Oil – 3- 4 tbsp
- Coriander - 1 tbsp, finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame and crackle the mustard seeds. Then add the broken red chilli, asafetida, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Sauté till they change color slightly.
- Add the blended onions with a pinch of salt and sauté till they become translucent.
- Add the blended tomatoes at this stage and cook it till it becomes mushy. Stir it occasionally.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds powder, fenugreek seeds powder with 2 tsp of oil again. Sauté till the raw smell leaves. Add the marinated prawn to this mixture and let it cook in its own juice for 2 mins.
- Add 3 tbsp of water with jaggery and allow it to boil for few minutes in medium to low flame.
- It will start to ooze out oil in the sides at a stage and will become a thick paste. It takes about 12-15 minutes for this process.
- Cook the shrimp for atleast 10 minutes till oil is separated from the prawn gravy.
- Garnish with coriander, Switch off and cool it completely.
- Store it in an air tight container for 2- 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
2. If you are using cooked shrimp, you need to cook for minimum 5-8 minutes.