Coconut Ladoos made with just only five ingredients and it melts in the mouth. They are specially made for festivals like diwali,ganesh chaturthi. You can make them even if there is no festival, no harm 🙂 . Kids love coconut a lot. Even the elder ones in our family will love it 🙂 Everyone has a kid inside us sleeping 😉 They can be made both by fresh coconut or desiccated coconut.
I made them with desiccated coconut. This time i am making for ganesh chaturthi. I made these beautiful ladoos to be offered as naivediyam or bhog to lord ganesha. Ladoos are one of the favorite food of lord ganesha. Apart from these ladoos, there are motichoor ladoos, rava ladoo and boondi ladoo.
Ganesh chaturthi, i have witnessed this festival from my young age. It is the hindu festival celebrated in the name of god Ganesha. He is the elephant-headed god and known to be a god as the remover of obstacles and the god of beginnings and wisdom. This festival involves installing clay idols of lord ganesha which are worshipped for ten days with herbals leaves,plants and immersed in a lake the idol and the herbal leaves. This tradition was introduced because after adding herbal and medicated leaves in lakes, the water in the lake becomes hygenic. In early days, people use to drink lake water and to protect people from infections and diseases , this tradition was introduced.
This festival is celebrated in many states of India. The recipes prepared for this festival differs from state to state. Some of them make sundals, some make modak or kozhukattai. Many people don’t use onions, garlic, spices for this festival. Check with your elders before doing so if you are preparing this for god. I always do the mothak or kozhukattai. So this time i wanted to try something different. That is the reason for these coconut ladoos. It takes only twenty minutes to come together, so its perfect for those looking for quick and easy sweet recipes for any festival.They are perfect for gifting too. You can play around the ingredients and proportions a bit depending on how much you like them.
- 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- ½ cup of desiccated coconut for rolling
- 1 tsp of butter or ghee
- 7 raw almonds,chopped
- 2 cardamon crushed
- Heat the ghee and toast the almonds till it turns golden. Drain and keep it aside.
- To the same pan, add the 1 cup of desiccated coconut. Toast for a minute.
- To the same pan, pour the condensed milk on it. Mix well and cook on low flame.
- Cook it until the mixture quite thick and starts to roll like a ball. It will take around 7-10 mins.
- Add the roasted almonds, cool the mixture but not make it really cold. Cool it little so that you cna handle by hand.
- Just apply ghee in your hand, make round balls by taking that mixture in your hand.
- Roll this balls in the ½ cup of desiccated coconut. And keep it aside.
- You can store them in airtight container upto four days. I refrigerate them as it is coconut based dish.
2. you can also use fresh coconut but you cant store it for long time. So i prefer to use dessicated coconut. And also you have to cook the fresh coconut for a longer time since fresh coconut can be more moist.