Whenever I leave from India, my mother used to make some homemade recipes that I can preserve for a month or two. She used to make some coriander thokku, curry leaves thokku, tomato thokku, pulikachal, pickles and so on. So I thought of preparing some now and give it to my sister when I am planning to meet her next week. Following my Mom in cooking I guess 🙂 I don’t know how much my nephew would love this ;)! He is just 2 years 🙂
I really love using my freezer to preserve food. I love these homemade chutney or sauce and they are always a great savior when it comes to weekdays. I am alright cooking on weekends, but on a weekday I get so tired that most of the days I tend to make recipes under 30 minutes, finish and sleep. You can also use these for travel, it will not get spoiled easily for a long travel. For this recipe, try to use ripe tomatoes. And adding sugar or jaggery enhances the flavor and helps in balancing out the acidity.
You can use them as a dip and it also taste great with paratha, bajji, curd rice or mix it with plain rice and its heaven on earth!
- Onion – 1 (medium), finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 5 (medium), chopped
- Garlic – 10 (medium sized cloves), chopped finely
- Ginger – 3 inch, grated
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida/ Hing – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli (whole) – 2, broken
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds powder – 1 tsp
- Jaggery – 1 inch
- Gingelly Oil – 3- 4 tbsp
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame and crackle the mustard seeds. Then add the broken red chilli, asafetida, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Sauté till they change color slightly.
- Add the onions with a pinch of salt and sauté till they become translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes at this stage and cook it till it becomes mushy. Stir it occasionally.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds powder with 2 tsp of oil again. Sauté till the raw smell leaves. Add 3 tbsp of water with jaggery and allow it to boil for few minutes in medium to low flame.
- It will start to ooze out oil in the sides at a stage and will become a thick paste. It takes about 20-30 minutes for this process.
- Switch off and cool it completely.
- Store it in an air tight container for 2- 3 weeks in the refrigerator.