A nice variation of onion raita, a refreshing side dish to go with your spicy food! A must try to give a different flavor to your plain raita! This is a unique combo and that sautéed onion and garlic in yogurt gives great flavor.
I love to include raita in my meal frequently because of the cooling and soothing taste. I include lot of spicy dishes in my everyday meal so I like have some buttermilk (Mint chaas) or some raita or curd rice into my meal frequently. This is one the Indian condiment made with yogurt, chilli and fried onion and seasoned with a few spices and herbs.
I like to add a green chilli slit or sliced into my raita before serving, it gives nice click. I usually make my raita right before serving and for this fried onion raita, you should surely add the fried onion to the raita right before serving. And whenever I call someone who is not Indian, I make sure I prepare some raita. If they find the food spicy, they can have it with raita. I usually make cucumber raita, carrot raita, cucumber carrot raita, onion raita, onion tomato raita, okra raita, Carrot Ginger Raita, Tomato Garlic Raita, beetroot raita, spinach raita,pumpkin raita. You can pretty much make raita with any fruits and veggies you fancy!
Raita’s or yogurt dipping always goes very well with Biryani. I always make raita for my biryanis, let it be vegetarian or lamb biryani. I like to add them even on my tacos. Or even as a side to spicy snacks & appetizers.
- • Thick Yoghurt – 1 cups (You could use even greek yogurt)
- • Oil – 2 tsp
- • Onion – 1 cup, sliced finely
- • Garlic – 1, Minced
- • Sugar – a pinch
- • Ground cumin – ½ tsp
- • Chaat Masala -1/8 tsp
- • Salt – 1 tsp
- • Green chilli – 1 Finely sliced, garnish
- • Red chilli flakes – ¼ tsp, garnish
- • Fresh cilantro – 1 tbsp, finely Chopped
- Take a small pan; add the oil and sliced onion and garlic and roast till caramelized. Add a pinch of sugar for it to get roasted nicely. Keep aside.
- And keep aside.
- Just before serving, beat the yogurt and add the raosted onion garlic,salt and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Garnish with red chilli flakes, chaat masala, sliced green chilli and coriander leaves.