It is prepared with spices like mustard powder, red chili powder and salt. It is known for its spiciness 🙂 you can enjoy the goodness of raw mango like this. Mango pickles are my favorite of all the pickles. To be frank, I love all pickles 😉
In India, my mom used to make pickles in summers. She used to make in bulk and store them in jars. They will last almost 6 -8 months! I pretty much have pickles with everything. Especially with parathas, dal and rice, and with of course curd rice. Later, it was more stores bought. But I always would prefer pickles made at home. My boyfriend does not like pickle much, so never felt like making it. But this time, it was more for me! 😉
The combinations of mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds are perfect that it will give you the flavor of store bought pickle. You can use sesame oil or mustard oil. It is just, we need to heat and add the mustard oil and sesame oil can be added directly. If you do not have split mustard seeds or fenugreek seeds, just coarsely blend and add them (like pulse and grind)
- Mangoes – 5 small, or 3 big, or 3 cups , chop with skin
- Turmeric powder - 2tsp
- Asafoetida powder – 1 tsp
- Split Fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp (methi kuria ), you can use whole fenugreek seeds
- Broken Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp (rai kuria), you can use whole mustard seeds
- Red chilli powder – ¼ cup
- Red chilli – 3
- Nigella seeds (Kalonji) – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds, coarsely powdered – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Mustard oil – ½ cup, (or sesame oil, but do not heat if sesame oil)
- Garlic – 4 (Remove the extra outer layers of garlic and keep just one thin layer intact with the pod.)
- Salt – ¼ cup
- Wash mangoes and dry them completely. You are doing this to make sure there is no moisture or dust left there.
- Cut the mangoes in half, deseed them and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Take a bowl, combine 1 tbsp salt, turmeric powder and cut mangoes. And soak them overnight or 6 hours until the mangoes release a large quantity of water.
- Drain the mangoes and place in a clean cloth/tissue for 2 hours.
- Heat a pan, roast the coriander seeds, red chilli for a min. Turn off the heat, cool it and blend them coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan and keep aside till it cools down.
- In a bowl which is completely dry, combine the mangoes, salt, oil and other ingredients. Mix well Store it in a container for a week or two till they completely get the flavor and tenderness in the pickle. And they are ready to use
- First and foremost step is to remove moisture. Moisture is the worst thing for pickles, so store them in refrigerator.
- Make sure to use clean spoon, clean jar to store without no moisture.
- Always make sure the lid is closed tight.
- I stored in few jars like this to use when I can. You can store them up to 4 months.
This taste perfect with plan rice or dal.