Steamed Beetroot is seasoned with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves and finally garnished with fresh coconut in this classic south Indian stir fry. This is an easy and south Indian vegan beetroot stir fry. This post is a comfort food from my home. You can make this in few minutes.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli - 1 broken
- Onions – 1 small / ½ cup, chopped
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Beetroot - 3 medium sized, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Sambhar powder – ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander – 1tbsp, chopped
- Oil - ½ tbsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilli and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and fry for a min. Now add chopped onions and green chillies and salt and sauté well till onions gets slightly browned.
- Now add the chopped beetroot, sauté for a minute. Add the turmeric powder and sambhar powder. Mix it well. Add water till it is almost covered. Close the lid and let it turn soft and raw smell leaves.
- Once all the water gets evaporated, add dry coconut and chopped coriander and give a quick stir fry. Finish off by adding 1 tsp of coconut oil and switch off.
2. You can substitute this with any veggie you fancy and make this same stir-fry.
3. You can use 1 tsp of coconut oil to garnish. It gives extra flavor.
4. You can use frozen veggies also, then you have to just 1 tbsp of water, add the coconut and switch off.