A healthy and easy to make Sweet corn soup with carrot, green beans & spring onion.
This is a healthy comfort food that takes just twenty minutes to prepare. This is a very easy and flavorful soup. I am not a big fan of soups and I always prefer creamier version. But this one is healthy and if you wanted to make a healthy meal, you can have this one. I never used to have soups before coming here to Canada, and then I started liking it. In India, I used to have soups only as an appetizer but here I have them as main meal sometimes 😉 I always like to have them with some wheat crackers on the side. If I am planning a big meal, I would like to have a clear soup as an appetizer to complete the meal and to make it light.
You can use tinned sweet corn or corn kernels to make this. Whenever I see sweet corn, it reminds me of having it steamed with some masala as masala corn. Will post that recipe sometime. I love the natural sweetness and the crunch it gives. I like creamier version of the soup but its not that healthy. So will make it only once in a while. This soup is a clear soup which is light and easy to drink, and is usually found as part of a Chinese meal.
- Onion – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Carrot - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Beans – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Corn - ½ cup
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Corn flour – 2 tsp
- Spring onion – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Oregano – ¼ tsp
- Basil leaves – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- In 1 tsp of oil, first sauté onion, carrot and beans till raw smell leave (forgot to take this step picture). Boil water in a container when it starts boiling add all the vegetables.
- Boil for around ten minutes, allow the vegetables to get cooked. Cook it till it is soft but yet crunchy enough to bite.
- Meanwhile when they are boiling, mix 2 tsp corn flour in 2tsp of water without any lumps and keep it ready.
- Once the water is reduced a little and veggies have turned soft and crunchy, add the corn flour mixture and stir well. The soup will get thicken, and now add pepper powder, sugar and stir. Let it simmer for five mins.
- Then add oregano, basil leaves and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onions and switch off. Serve hot.
2. You can add cabbage and celery also. Sautéing the veggies is optional
3. You can also frozen veggies and boil less.
4. Add white pepper, it gives better taste.