It’s an authentic culinary dish from North Indian cuisine. It’s an easy way of dal tadka (lentil) with the flavors of garlic in it. It has only a handful of ingredients but yet the garlicky flavor and the spices in the fragrance ghee make the dish finger licking good for all seasons. This lasooni dal is made of pigeon pea lentils/tuvar dal. If you like garlic in your dish, you will just love this recipe. I would say its one of the easiest recipes. And lahsun means garlic. 🙂
Dal can be made in different ways using different dal like Normal simple dal, dal tadka, dal fry using different dal.
I usually don’t like to add tomatoes in this dal recipe. I don’t want that tangy flavor in all my dal recipes. I want garlic to be the overpowering ingredient here. If you prefer a slight tangy flavor, you can squeeze lemon juice finally. That will really do the job.
Vegan note: Replace ghee with oil and taste this amazing dal 🙂
This can be served with rice, basmathi rice, jeera rice, roti.
- Tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils – 1 cup
- Onions – 1 finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2 chopped
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Asafetida/hing – pinch
- Salt – as needed
- Water – 3 cups for pressure-cooking the lentils
- Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Cumin powder – 1tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped for garnish
- Lemon – squeeze a little for garnish
- Add washed tuvar dal, onions, garlic, green chillies, turmeric, little salt and asafetida in the pressure cooker with water.
- Pressure-cook the lentils for 10 whistles till you get a mashable smooth consistency.
- When it’s pressure-cooked, open the cooker and check if the consistency is ok. If not mash it, add little water and boil for two minutes. Or leave it.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan. Ghee gives great flavors to dal but. Sometimes I use oil too. Add chopped garlic. Sauté the garlic for a minute till it becomes lightly browned. Add red chilli and sauté for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add red chilli powder,cumin powder, asafetida/hing, garam masala and dry methi leaves. Stir and pour the entire tempering on the dal.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and squeeze lemon. Check for salt and serve lasuni dal tadka hot with steamed rice and a potato fry. You can also serve this with rotis/naan.
2. If the gravy is thick, and id you want it more in liquid form, you can add water and boil for two minutes.
3. You can use ghee/oil for tempering. But ghee gives great flavors to dal but. Sometimes I use oil too.