This is one of my favorite open faced sandwiches. Easy, Quick and tasty one. Takes about 10 minutes to get ready and are super fresh and delicious. Bored with your toast? Spread this delicious homemade vegetables sauce on your bread and enjoy!
I have had this bread toast in India in a bakery called “Iyengar bakery”. If you have tried this in that bakery, you will surely say how tasty it is. I got a lot of request for sandwich recipes. It is just I try lot of sandwiches recipes in the morning but never take pictures as they have become a day to day morning routine. I mainly did this recipe as I wanted to make in pan rather than sandwich makers. You can keep this as open sandwiches or closed sandwiches. I left it as open sandwich to remind me the bakery sandwich. Do not add water to the vegetables and make it mushy, the vegetables should be crunchy in this. I still remember, my dad used to get this sandwich from a bakery when I was doing my third grade in Madurai. My sister was in sixth grade only, but still she used to get me this after school for me with her pocket money 🙂 ! This bread toast is easy to fix up with less effort for kids. I made this on a weekend with some avocado and banana coffee milkshake.
- Bread slices – 4
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1, finely chopped/ grated
- Bell pepper/capsicum – 1 small, finely chopped
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Chaat masala – ¼ tsp
- Tomato ketchup – ¾ tsp
- Butter – to toast bread
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp, finely chopped to garnish
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp, to garnish
- In a pan, add oil and add in the cumin seeds and then add the chopped onions and green chillies. Sauté till the onions are light golden brown.
- Add in the carrots, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes,chaat masala, red chilli powder, salt and the tomato ketchup.
- Sauté in a low flame for 5 minutes and switch it off.
- Place a pan and when the pan is hot, toast the bread with little butter on both sides.
- Spread the filling on the top side and garnish with coriander leaves. Squeeze some lemon/lime juice to garnish.
2. Do not add water and make the vegetables mushy. The vegetables should be crunchy here,
3. You can add any vegetables of your choice like potatoes, cabbage, peas or beans.