Steamed cluster beans is seasoned with mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves and finally garnished with fresh coconut in this classic south Indian stir fry.
When I prepare cluster beans, aviyal and this stir-fry is my favorite, I even like to eat this with plain rice or sometimes add plain rice to it and enjoy as beans rice. You can very well combine with carrots, peas and make it as carrot cluster beans stir fry. I do that when I have only few portions of each veggie in the refrigerator. I mix all the veggies like cluster beans, carrot and peas and make a stir fry using everything.
I have been thinking of posting this recipe for a long time, then thought it’s too simple to post. But now I thought it can surely help beginners or bachelors. You can substitute this with any veggie you fancy and make this same stir-fry. You can even use frozen veggies, then you have to just 1 tbsp. of water, add the coconut and switch off. There is no need of boiling and the whole recipe just takes 5 minutes to do. It tastes best with ,,Onion kuzhambu/curry, spinach curry, pepper kuzhambu/curryor sambhar. You can also have this withor just with plain rice.
- • • Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
- • • Urad dal/split black gram – 1 tsp
- • • Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- • Onion – ½ cup, chopped (1 small)
- • • Green chilli – 1, chopped
- • • Curry leaves – 1 spring
- • •cluster Beans – 2 cups, chopped, around 1 inch
- • • Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- • • Sambhar powder – ½ tbsp
- • • Salt – to taste
- • • Red chillies -2 , broken
- • • Fresh coconut – 1 tbsp
- • • Oil - ½ tbsp
- • • Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, red chilli and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and fry for a min. Now add chopped onions and green chillies and salt and sauté well till onions gets slightly browned.
- Now add the chopped cluster beans, sauté for a minute. Add the turmeric powder and sambhar powder. Mix it well. Add water till it is almost covered. Close the lid and let it turn soft and raw smell leaves.
- Once all the water gets evaporated, add dry coconut and give a quick stir fry. Finish off by adding 1 tsp of coconut oil and switch off.
2. You can substitute this with any veggie you fancy and make this same stir-fry.
3. You can use 1 tsp of coconut oil to garnish. It gives extra flavor.
4. You can use frozen veggies also, then you have to just 1 tbsp of water, add the coconut and switch off.