Chicken is marinated & cooked with the coconut and butter till the pieces are juicy, flavorful & roasted outside. It is simple, spicy and succulent. This is such an easy dish, yet so delicious and flavorful.
I usually add coconut to chicken finally and cook in many of my chicken curry recipes. But this one I cooked the chicken in butter and coconut. When you wanted to make a dry side dish with chicken, you might be guilty to make chicken 65 always which is fried. So, this one taste like it is been fried but it is not. I made this with ghee rice and fish curry.
I made this for the weekend for my friends when they came home. I made this a lot of recipes so you could have guessed how easy it is to make. I would say it is the easiest recipe of all my chicken recipes yet tasty.
I used ghee (Indian clarified butter) here. But you can use unsalted butter also. I have tried that once too.
- Chicken – 500 grams, bite sized pieces, cleaned and washed
- Butter/ Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp, grated or desiccated coconut
- Shallot – 10, chopped finely
- Green Chillies – 2
- Garlic ginger paste – ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped, for garnish
- Salt – as needed
- Wash chicken and marinate with chilli powder, salt, turmeric, coriander powder and ginger garlic paste. Keep atleast for an hour.
- Now take a pan and add butter or ghee in medium flame, cumin seeds and when their color changes, add shallots, green chillies and curry leaves.
- After the onion is sautéed, add grated coconut and keep stirring and make sure it is not burnt. Now add the marinated chicken.
- Close it with the lid and not need to add water. Let the chicken cook from the water that chicken oozes out.
- Once it is almost 90% done, add pepper powder, garam masala and cook till the chicken is dry and roasted. Keep the vessel open and not close it with lid now.
- When it is perfectly roasted, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.