I still remember the kulfi wallah – a vendor selling kulfi carrying the earthen pot on his head or in a vehicle and selling kulfi door to door. But never had a chance to try it there and I had it once or twice in beach 🙂 i love it! They had a lot of varieties of kulfi and i would always get confused which one to order. I had the same problem even when i prepared this, i thought of mango or pista. But I wanted to try this one with a twist of coconut and hazelnut. So did this 🙂 It was great!
My mom loves kulfi 🙂 she used to make ice-creams and kulfi at home when i was really young 🙂 I will make it for her this time when she visits me 🙂 It is very easy to make and you can prepare this for a party. You can freeze them the day before and it will great to have it as dessert!! There are many ways a kulfi can be made and i heard it is traditionally is made from thickening milk to rabdi.
I wanted to make this using coconut, you can skip coconut if you wanted to do the normal one. Or freeze some with no coconut and add coconut for the rest and freeze them. This one is not ice-cream, it is more like ice, as icecream is very soft and creamy that will melt in your mouth whereas this has frozen crystals 🙂
I have heard that kulfi is amorous to have with special loved one Night walk 🙂 Him 🙂 Love and One hand holding his hand and another holding Kulfi! 🙂 Lovey-dovey!!! But never had a perfect chance to have it that way 😀 not that lucky 😉 but surely soon! Waiting 😀
- Milk - 2 and ½ cups
- Sweetened condensed milk - ½ cup
- Sugar - ¼ cup
- Rice flour - 1 tsp
- Badam - 10 nos, crushed
- Pista - 10 nos, crushed
- Hazelnut - 10 nos, crushed
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder - a pinch
- Saffron - 3 strands
- Sweetened Coconut - ¼ cup
- Pista - 2 tsp , crushed coarsely
- Coconut - 1 tbsp, garnish
- Toast the sweetened coconut for 1 minute.
- Heat the milk to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes till thickens.
- When it thickens, add the sweetened condensed milk, badam, pista, hazelnut, sugar ,cardamom powder, saffron, cinnamon powder and heat for two minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tsp of rice flour in 2 tsp of water. Add that in the mixture. It helps in thickening.
- Add the sweetened coconut and mix well. Switch off.
- Cool completely and set in any containers you want, cover and freeze it. But traditionally kulfis are served in this special mould where the ice-cream is set.
- Pour the ice-cream into individual kulfi mould and freeze till set. (for 6- 8 hrs)
- Unmold the kulfi by placing it under running water for few seconds. Remove on a plate, slice the kulfi, garnish with coconut and pistachios and serve immediately.
2. I recommend using full fat full milk, don’t use low fat milk.
3. If you don’t have the mould i have, you can use Popsicle mould if not you can use disposable plastic cups. Or even thick paper cups.