South Indian style chicken curry recipe packed full of spices and flavor.
Madras is a city in Tamilnadu (state), India. Madras is now renamed to Chennai. 😀 Ofcourse I can say this is Madras chicken curry because I am from the same city and I totally love my city. I make different styles of chicken each time; I usually tend not to make the same recipe again and again. There are so many recipes to try, why to waste on that. We have thousands of recipes to try in every cuisine. Few comfort foods are the ones I try always. But these days, I am trying to even change that. It is a famous south Indian recipe. I made this long back that and drafted this recipe. So thought it is one of the easiest recipes and I should post. It is one of the finest spicy recipes. If you are making it for the first time, try to taste as you make to adjust to your spice level. This recipe was spicy, tasty and flavorful.
This is the most indulgent, easy and delicious way of preparing chicken in Indian style. The ingredient is very simple and pretty straight-forward. This is such an easy dish, yet so delicious and flavorful.
- Chicken breast – 250 gms, no skin, cut into small bite sizes
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilli whole – 2, broken
- Curry leaves - 10
- Garlic – 4, chopped finely
- Ginger – 1 inch, chopped finely
- Red Onion medium – 1, chopped finely
- Tomato medium – 1, chopped finely
- Green chilli – 1, slit
- CHilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Yogurt – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Coriander – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- Salt – as needed
- Take a pan and add oil in medium flame, add cumin seeds, dried red chilli, and when their color changes, add garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. When the garlic gets sauted, add onions to it.
- After the onion is sautéed well, add the chopped tomatoes with turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder, fennel powder and salt. Sauté well for 2 mins till it oozes out some oil.
- Add the chicken and yogurt, keep it in medium-low flame and mix well. Close it with the lid and do not add water. Let the chicken cook from the water that chicken oozes out.
- After 10-12 minutes, it would have been cooked, add some coriander and mix well. See if the consistency is good for you, switch off.