Baby eggplants stuffed with peanuts and medley of spices and cooked till perfection. Vegan and gluten free!
Whenever I see baby eggplants in the store, I grab them. I love them as side rather than for curry like kuzhambu or sambar. I started to make this before few years when my friend said she tried it. I usually make the classic masala stuffed eggplant. I have already posted the recipe before. I wanted to try a different stuffing. Thought of making mint spices first, then went for a peanut coconut stuffing. It was really good. You should try it! 🙂
My mom has never made this, but my dad said my grandma used to make this often. I don’t make it often 😉 however when I make it I enjoy it as delicacy. I feel eggplant is a versatile vegetable and we could make a lot of dishes with it.
- • Baby eggplant – 10
- • Peanut oil/ sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- • Curry leaves – 1 spring
- • Green Chilli - 2, slit
- • Dry Red chilli – 2, broken
- • Salt- for taste
- • Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- • Dry mango powder – 1 tsp
To Roast & Grind:
- • Red chilli dry – 4
- • Peanuts – 3 tbsp
- • Coconut – 3 tbsp grated
- • Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- • Urad Dal – 2 tbsp
- • Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- • Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- • Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- • Jeera – 1 tbsp
- • Pepper - 2 tsp
- • Tamarind – pinch
- • Garlic cloves – 3
- Dry roast the ingredients under "to saute and grind" and grind to a smooth paste adding little water with turmeric powder, salt and dry mango powder. Mix well and Set aside.
- Wash and slit the eggplants on top of it without removing the stalk. Cut till almost the end to stuff keeping the stalk.
- Stuff the ground masala in the slit brinjal as much as possible.
- In a kadai, add little oil, add curry leaves, broken red chillies and slit chillies. Now place the stuffed brinjal. Keep the flame medium - low. Simmer the flame and cover the kadai. Add 2 tbsp of water for it to get cooked. Try to keep them intact.
- Sprinkle the left over ground masala if any is left over and a little bit of salt.
- Keep turning for each 5 minutes and when all sides are roasted, switch off. It usually takes 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.