Potatoes are an easy way to increase the nutrients and fibre in your diet. So be sure to have your potatoes. When “The little potato company”, Number one concern quality wise decided to send me a sample package of their potatoes, I was very excited. They have a lot of goodness in one little package. They are all natural, never processed, always fresh, and has a lot of variety that you will never get bored with. Plus these little potatoes are only 60 calories per serving. I got these red skin and blue skin potatoes. I have already cooked with the red skin and buttery yellow flesh before. Excellent when it is roasted or mashed. But I was excited to cook with the bright blue/ purple skin ones. The first thing I did was to cut them half and discover her secret that is underneath her blue skin, she’s really yellow flesh with purple streaks. Thank you “The little potato company” for giving me a chance to try it
I was contemplating of recipes to do with small potatoes. Got ideas of doing potato sausage soup, potato donuts, roasted rosemary garlic potatoes, bacon wrapped potatoes, crispy baked potato chips, twice baked golden potatoes, mini stuffed potatoes, mini potato quiche, Parmesan roasted baby potatoes, potato pizza, cheese potatoes, potato crepes, little potato pies, smashed potatoes, spicy honey potatoes, mini potatoes with cream and herbs. And got some indian recipe ideas too. We call the small potatoes as aloo in India. So, here it goes – Crispy Indian aloo, dum aloo, flatbread stuffed with spicy potatoes, potato parathas, aloo dum chaat, aloo spinach, crispy spicy aloo, aloo rice, potato biryani, potato peas masala, potato pickle,potato samosa, and potato gravy. I wanted to mainly see the beauties and not mash them. So I was concentrating more on a recipe where we can see these little potatoes without just only feeling them. Thought of mentioning my ideas as it may help for people who want to try different recipes from these little potatoes. As I finished writing this, I am already hungry and musing what I can do for tonight dinner. So finally decided to do this potato tikkas by marinating potatoes and bell peppers in yogurt and spices, skewered and baked in the oven. Can you ever go wrong with bell peppers and potatoes..?
The tikkas can be also added to a flavorful tomato sauce and made as potato tikka masala. Also I have baked them in oven alternatively you could grill them. If you don’t have an oven, don’t worry just shallow fry the skewered potatoes with veggies. The only challenge I would say to this dish is don’t overcook if frying or don’t over bake else you would have a dry potato. So take care of this and I assure your dish would come out great. 🙂
Vegan Note: Use soy yogurt instead of yogurt.
It can be had as an amazing starter or sides for roti, naan or rice. Also can be placed in taco and can have as a roll or wrap. Great starter for any party!
Simple. Easy. Elegant. Enough said.
- Little Potatoes – 15, chopped half ( I picked both blushing belle and something blue)
- Capsicum/ Bell Pepper – 1 cup, cut into cubes ( I used green and Red)
- Red Onion – ½ cup, Cut into cubes
- Cashew – 10 (soak in 1 tbsp of water for ten minutes)
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 7
- Yogurt – ¾ cup
- Red Chili Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi Leaves / Dry Fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander and lime – for garnish
- Soak skewers in cold water for 30 mins , this helps to stop them burning.
- Parboil the potatoes in a pan for ten minutes. You can microwave also.
- Blend the cashews, ginger and garlic to a fine paste. And keep aside.
- Mix together yogurt, cashew ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, fenugreek leaves, salt and lemon juice.
- Now add the boiled potatoes, chopped bell pepper and onions to the mixed paste and Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- To assemble, add the bell pepper, potato, another color bell pepper, potato, onion, potato and so on to the skewers. Little potato is the star ingredient so assemble accordingly.
- Grease a pan and place the arranged skewers and drizzle some oil. Bake them for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven after twenty minutes, garnish with coriander and lime wedges.
2. You can also prepare with tofu, paneer or chicken.
3. If you are preparing potato tikka on a stove top, just toast the marinated potatoes and vegetables in a pan (spread little oil around the potatoes and vegetables for toasting). Then pack it on skewrs or tooth picks, show on direct flame for a few seconds and serve.
4. You can add some cherry tomatoes or normal tomatoes, carrots too along with other veggies. But remember tomato slices tends to let out water while baking so you can skip it if you want.