A crispy, crunchy, mouth melting murukku made with chickpea flour and spices. Of all the murukku recipes that I make, this spicy curry leaves murukku is the most loved by all when I make them for Deepavali. I already have a murukku press, but it was not that good 🙂 and one of my friend gave me new one last week 🙂 I was so eager to make it with that 😀
I miss India more when I think about diwali or any festival for that matter. I used to enjoy the whole month when I was a kid 🙂 I don’t burst much crackers 😀 I was scared :D, but my mom used to make sweets and snacks the whole month. I used to help her a lot 😀 by eating them. ;). I used to give true comments of what she makes, so she used to give it to me first always 😉 and I always love snacks. 😀 My mom would take me and my sister to shopping J for diwali J. She used to get us special dresses, matching ornaments and we finish the day by going to dinner and coming back home. I loved it! Those days that dresses means a lot to us. Now, I buy my dress whenever I want. It’s no more special even on my birthday. That was the real fun birthdays or any occasions. Diwali night we used to clean home and some renovate homes too. We used to exchange gifts 😉 that’s the best part I say 😀
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Besan (Benjal Gram Flour) - 1cup
- Red Chilli Powder - 2tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Asafetida – 2 pinches
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Melted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Hot oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – For Deep Frying
- Curry Leaves - 15
- Red chilli - 4
- Garlic - 3
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Blend everything under to grind. And keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in a pan.
- In a wide bowl, add all the ingredients and add the blended mixture. Add water little by little to form soft stiff dough.
- Fix the murukku achu (mould) into the murukku press. Add a portion of dough in the murukku press and close it. Press it and make a circular shape. I always grease some laddles and make murukku first in that then drop them in oil. This will help to make nice shaped ones.
- When the oil is hot, in medium high heat, drop the shaped murukku. Do not crowd the pan, it will make the oil temperature go down.
- When it turns into crispy golden brown color on one side and also when bubbles ceases, flip this carefully using the ladle to other side and cook till the bubble ceases. Drain it in tissue paper, cool down completely and store in airtight container.
2. Always grease some laddles and make murukku first in that then drop them in oil. This will help to make nice shaped ones.