A classic south Indian vegan Ivy Gourd (Tindora) curry with spicy fennel powder.
It is perfect for rice or roti. It is one of the healthiest vegetables and good for people who have diabetics. It is very quick to make this. I made this on a long weekend after all the tiring weekend with my sister family visit. Usually on weekends I would have all patience to cook big lunch, but that monday I wanted to make something quick and tasty for my rasam. I tried this and it turned out so roasted and beautiful. Anybody would love to make quick lunch or dinner, if they are given an option. So, these days I am trying to make a lot of quick recipes. This recipe is good only for the other vegetables like eggplants, beans, okra, potato and so on. This recipe tasted different when we sliced them because of the cutting style and the roasting style. I usually chop them to round ones. However this time my sis’s MIL suggested me her recipe to try and I made some changes 😉
! Healthy and tasty! Less oil, vegan and perfect for Quick lunch/dinner. Today I wanted to post a comfort food from my home. You can make this in few minutes. This stir fry is healthy and goes well with plain rice or any gravy.
You can make poriyal/stir fry with almost all veggies like beans,carrot, cabbage, chow chow/chayote, Mixed veggies, bitter gourd/pavakkai, bottle gourd, beetroot, okra,potato, broccoli, cauliflower, arbi/seppankezhangu , raw banana/ vazhakkai,Kothavarangai stir fry and so on.
I have been thinking of posting this recipe for a long time, then thought it’s too simple to post. But now I thought it can surely help beginners or bachelors. There is no need of boiling and the whole recipe takes under 30 minutes to do.
Other favourite stir fry recipes are here: STIR FRY/ DRY CURRY Recipes.
- • Ivy Gourd – 20
- • • Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- • Onions – 1, chopped finely
- • Red chilli – 2, broken
- • • Urad dal /black gram – 2 tsp
- • • Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- • • Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- • Hing – a pinch
- • • Salt – 1 tbsp
- • • Oil – 2 tbsp
- • •
- [To grind:]
- • • Red chilly – 3
- • • Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- • • Garlic – 4
- • • Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
- • • Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- • • Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Blend the ingredients under “to grind” smoothly.
- Remove the ends of the veggie and cut into half lengthwise. Put a slit in the middle of the veggie and soak them in water till you cook.
- Heat a wide pan with oil and add mustard seeds. When it crackle, add the urad dal, Red chilli, hing and when it gets lightly golden brown, add the curry leaves. Now add the onions to it and sauté with little salt till they get translucent.
- Add the sliced veggie with the ground paste,turmeric powder,salt and add 2 tbsp of water. Mix it well and cover it for 7 minutes.
- After 7-8 minutes, open the pan, the water would have evaporated, stir well and cook it uncovered in medium heat tillit sides get evenly roasted.
- Switch it off and serve with some hot rice and dal.
2. Reduce the amount of spicyness if you want by avoiding the chilli/sambar powder.