A simple garlic spinach curry, uniquely flavored with milk. I’ll place this right up with my most-loved comfort foods.
To be frank, when I really feel like having comfort home food, I have few recipes that I would like to make – vengaya kuzhambu, rasam, mor kuzhambu, potato roast and there comes this recipe “spinach garlic curry”. I just love this recipe. This makes me feel good after having it 🙂 I am not exaggerating. I feel so! I always make this spinach curry with potato roast and basmati rice. I really like the flavors of spinach curry and basmati rice and with sides I need my potato roast. You should try this combo! It is just awesome! You can even have this as sides to roti or just plain rice. It can be made as vegan by adding coconut milk or soy milk. I came to know about this recipe from my friend Priyanka. She used to make it for us 🙂 I just adapted this recipe from that. Before having this, I was wondering spinach and milk combination, it did not feel good 🙂 Now I am in love with this! Thank you Priyanka :)!!!!
Vegan Note – . You can use coconut milk/ soy milk instead of milk to make it completely vegan.
- • Cumin seeds (jeera) – 2 tsp
- • Garlic – 8, chopped finely
- • Onion – 1, chopped finely
- • Green chilli – 1, chopped finely
- • Tomato – ½, chopped finely
- • Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- • Spinach – 3 cups, chopped or whole
- • Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- • Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- • Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- • Milk – ½ cup
- • Oil – 2 tbsp
- • Salt – as needed
- • Coriander leaves – For garnish
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed non-stick skillet over medium heat, add jeera, garlic and add the onions and chillies and fry until they are golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes, salt and turmeric and fry until golden brown.
- Now stir in the chopped spinach to this and add 2 tbsp of water and close the lid. Simmer it for few minutes till the spinach leaves shrink.
- Now add the chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Fry this for a minute.
- Now add milk and Stir in the mixture few times and the milk should evaporate 90%.
- Now switch off and Garnish with coriander leaves.