Fall is upon us! When it’s cold, make this spicy flavorful lamb curry :)! Darling & delicious!
I made this the last Sunday for my friend Jothi who came to Montreal. She likes anything other than vegetarian much 😉 so wanted to make something for her. She really liked it 🙂 packed her some to take away too 😉 so I think she did like it ;). I cooked meat after a long time and clicked pictures also. If I know that my recipe is new and hot, I make sure I click pictures at least to remember that I made something like this and post it. I will share it if it turns out good.
It’s getting cold here, so just have it with some cooked basmati rice, no one would stop with one bite on this cold weather. This is an enticing hot curry. It’s so relaxing when you have this for a weekend lunch. This lamb recipe is just mind boggling lamb curry. Feel free to cut the chilli powder by half if you can’t take spicy food. And also you can replace the lamb by mutton.
When all the lamb curry is over, take some plain rice mix it in the same pan and have it right away. You can have this with plain rice,rasam/sambar, or roti,naan, paratha, parotta. Taste great with chicken biryani restaurant style or vegetable biryani.
I would say normally Mutton and lamb recipes are a treat to any Non Vegetarian food lover.
- • Lamb Meat(shoulders)– 500, cut into 2 inch chunks
- • Red chilli – 1, broken
- • Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- • Red Onions – 1 cup, chopped finely
- • Shallots – ¼ cup (optional), chopped finely
- • Tomato – 1 cup, chopped finely
- • Yogurt – 1 tbsp, beaten
- • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- • Green chilli – 2, slit
- • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- • Lime - ½ , garnish
- • Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, Garnish
- • Salt - 2 tbsp
- • Red Chilli – 3
- • Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- • Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- • Cardamom – 1
- • Cloves – 2
- • Cinnamon stick – small piece
- • Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- • Garlic – 4, Minced finely
- • Ginger – 1 inch, julienne cut
- • Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- • Whole pepper balls – 1 tbsp
- • Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- • Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
- • Coconut (desiccated/fresh) – 1 tbsp
- Wash lamb pieces and drain well.
- Soak red chilli and poppy seeds in water for 15 mins. Blend them in a blender with other ingredients to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil in medium flame. Add red chillis, curry leaves,green chilli and sauté for few seconds till it gets roasted.
- Now add the onions and salt, sauté well. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and sauté well. After two minutes when sautéed well, add the blended paste and lower the flame. It will ooze out some oil.
- Add the lamb and roast in that oil for two minutes.
- Add yogurt, Mix well and enough water covering till half the meat and whistle for 5 counts. Or cover it and let it get cooked for 35-40 minutes in medium-low flame.
- Now remove the cover, check if the consistency is good or just keep it open and cook for few more minutes.
- Switch off, Garnish with lime juice and coriander leaves.
2. You can replace lamb with mutton in this recipe.
3. You can switch of at the consistency you think it’s right for you.
4. If you like the brown roasted dry texture, then leave it till almost all water is gone from the gravy.
5. Feel free to cut the chilli powder by half if you think it’s too hot for you.